Why does coninuity of f important when changing variables from (x,y) -> (u,v))

In summary, double integrals of f(x+y) w.r.t dA over region R equals single integral of uf(u) w.r.t du from 0 to 1.
zm500

Homework Statement

Let f be continuous on [0,1] and let R be the triangular region with vertices (0,0), (0,1), and (1,0). Show that
double integrals of f(x+y) w.r.t dA over region R equals single integral of uf(u) w.r.t du from 0 to 1.

Homework Equations

jacobian method

The Attempt at a Solution

i made u = x+y but I can't solve a determinant of just a row.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come up with a second variable v.

vela said:
Come up with a second variable v.

Where would I start?

Try plotting lines of constant u in the xy-plane. A convenient choice for v would be such that lines of constant v are perpendicular to those.

vela said:
Try plotting lines of constant u in the xy-plane. A convenient choice for v would be such that lines of constant v are perpendicular to those.

How can I plot lines of constant u i thought you can only do that uv plane.

u=constant => x+y=constant

As the others have said, because this is a two dimensional problem, you must have two variables. Take u= x+ y, v= y, for example. That will still give a double integral but now, since f is a function of u only, the first integral, with respect to v, can be done giving "uf(u)du".

HallsofIvy said:
As the others have said, because this is a two dimensional problem, you must have two variables. Take u= x+ y, v= y, for example. That will still give a double integral but now, since f is a function of u only, the first integral, with respect to v, can be done giving "uf(u)du".

So, the bounds for v are 0[tex]\leq[/tex]v[tex]\leq[/tex]u? I don't understand how they got they got the bounds for u and v. I understand we need an expression for v but I don't know how to come up with that or where to start since u = x+y. Also, are we supposed to come up with an expression visually for v by looking at the region R with vertices (0,0), (1,0), and (0,1).

That's why I suggested you plot lines of constant u in the xy-plane. It's pretty clear from that what the limits of u are. For instance, the line u=1, which in terms of x and y is x+y=1, runs right along the hypotenuse of the triangular region.

If you choose v so that lines of constant v are perpendicular to lines of constant u (in the xy-plane), you're just rotating the coordinate system, and you'd determine the limits for v the way you usually do.

You are integrating over a triangle, in the xy-plane, with vertices at (0, 0), (1, 0), and (0, 1). The boundaries are the lines y= 0 (joining (0, 0) and (1, 0)), x= 0 (joining (0, 0) and (0, 1)), and x+ y= 1 (joining (1, 0) and (0, 1)). If you let u= x+ y and v= y, then u= x+ v so x= u- v, y= v.

in the uv-plane, the line x= 0 becomes u- v= 0 or v= u. The line y= 0 becomes v= 0 and the line x+y= 1 becomes u= 1. That is a triangle with vertices at (0, 0), (1, 0), and (1, 1).
[tex]\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y= 0}^{1- x} f(x+y)dydx[/tex]
becomes
[tex]\int_{u= 0}^1\int_{v= 0}^u f(u)dvdu[/tex]

By the way- you titled this thread "Why does coninuity of f important when changing variables from (x,y) -> (u,v))". The continuity of f has nothing to do with changing variables- it just guarentees that f is integrable.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Why does coninuity of f important when changing variables from (x,y) -> (u,v))

1. Why is continuity important in mathematics?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on a function's behavior. It ensures that the function will behave in a predictable manner and allows us to accurately analyze its properties.

2. How does continuity affect the changing of variables from (x,y) to (u,v)?

Continuity is crucial when changing variables from (x,y) to (u,v) because it ensures that the new function will behave in a similar manner as the original function. This allows us to accurately translate between the two variable systems and make meaningful comparisons.

3. What happens if a function is not continuous when changing variables?

If a function is not continuous when changing variables, it means that there are abrupt changes or discontinuities in the function's behavior. This can lead to inaccurate translations between variable systems and make it difficult to analyze the function's properties.

4. How does continuity of f affect the accuracy of calculations?

Continuity of f is essential for accurate calculations because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and will not have unexpected or undefined values. Without continuity, it becomes difficult to accurately predict the behavior of the function and make meaningful calculations.

5. Can continuity be assumed when changing variables from (x,y) to (u,v)?

Continuity cannot always be assumed when changing variables from (x,y) to (u,v). It is important to analyze the function and check for any discontinuities or abrupt changes in behavior. If the function is not continuous, additional steps may need to be taken to accurately translate between the two variable systems.