Jakson/angular momentum in electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about how to prove the conservation of angular momentum in electric and magnetic fields. A hint is provided to try using the total torque on a charge and current distribution in a similar method as Jackson's derivation of conservation of linear momentum. The conversation also mentions not creating multiple threads for the same question and clarifies that the question is not a homework problem, but rather related to a new research.
freehuman79

Homework Statement

does anybody know how we can aprove the conservation of anular momentum in electric/magnetic field? its problem 6.10 in jakson's booktahnx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi freehuman79, welcome to PF:smile:

As per forum policy, we require that you show some attempt at the solution before we assist you. However, I'll start you off with a hint--- Try looking at the total torque on some charge and current distribution and follow a similar method as Jackson's derivation of conservation of linear momentum (eq. 6.121)

P.S. Please don't create multiple threads for the same question; that is also against forum rules. Since ths is essentially a homework problem, this is where this question belongs.

I am really sorry if I broke the forum policy, bet let me insure to you that it is not homework problem. it is just the key idea of my new research.
regards

1. What is angular momentum in an electric field?

Angular momentum in an electric field is a measure of the rotational motion of an object in the presence of an electric field. It is defined as the product of the object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum affected by an electric field?

In the presence of an electric field, the angular momentum of an object can change due to the torque exerted by the field. This can cause the object to rotate at a different speed or direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum in an electric field?

The formula for calculating angular momentum in an electric field is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. Can angular momentum be conserved in an electric field?

Yes, angular momentum can be conserved in an electric field as long as there is no external torque acting on the system. In this case, the change in angular momentum of one object will be equal and opposite to the change in angular momentum of another object, resulting in a net conservation of angular momentum.

5. What is the relationship between angular momentum and electric dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment of an object is directly proportional to its angular momentum in an electric field. This means that the greater the angular momentum of an object, the larger its electric dipole moment will be.