James Webb space telescope and fundamental physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the significance of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) in fundamental physics research. There was a question about what kind of questions could be answered by the telescope and if it had any relevance to the standard model of physics. The response mentioned that cosmology and particle physics are closely linked and the Moore Center at the California Institute of Technology is currently exploring this connection. However, it was also noted that the high cost of the JWST has resulted in the cancellation of other missions, including one that would have searched for gravitational waves.
tesselate
Does JWST has any significance in fundamental physics research? What kind of questions would we get answers to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done ANY research on this on your own? There is a lot of stuff on the internet.

Yes, from what I see there is only research about astrophysics and cosmology. I was just wondering if it has any significance for fundamental physics and the standard model.

Considering that cosmology and particle physics have become increasingly interlinked over the past few decades, how much more fundamental can you get? As noted in this article - http://ctcp.caltech.edu/fundamental.php - by the Moore Center of the California Instute of Technology "This focus area seeks to connect the fundamental laws of physics to the origin, evolution, and constituents of the universe."

Thank you for your response and for sharing this link! Forgive me for my silly question, I have just started learning about this subject. But I think I have a better idea about it now. I will be reading more about the connection of particle physics and cosmology. Very interesting.

JWST has greatly damaged the research program in fundamental physics. It's obscene cost overruns (the current estimate a factor of 17 more than originally proposed!) have caused a dozen other missions to be canceled, including LISA, which would have searched for gravitational waves.

Likes Amrator, mfb and atyy

1. What is the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) and how does it differ from other space telescopes?

The James Webb Space Telescope is a large infrared telescope that will be launched in 2021. It is the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope and will be located about 1.5 million kilometers from Earth. Its main difference from other space telescopes is its larger size and more advanced technology, allowing it to observe the universe in greater detail and at longer wavelengths.

2. How will the JWST contribute to our understanding of fundamental physics?

The JWST will be able to observe the early universe, when the first stars and galaxies were forming. This will allow scientists to study the effects of dark matter and dark energy on the growth and evolution of the universe. It will also be able to study exoplanets in greater detail, potentially providing insight into the origins of life in the universe.

3. What new technologies does the JWST use?

The JWST uses advanced technologies such as a 6.5-meter segmented primary mirror, a sunshield the size of a tennis court, and advanced infrared detectors. It also has a deployable secondary mirror and a fine guidance sensor to accurately point the telescope.

4. How will the JWST be maintained and repaired?

Unlike the Hubble Space Telescope, the JWST will not be able to be serviced by astronauts. Instead, it is designed to be self-sustaining and will be at a location beyond the reach of any spacecraft. It is built to withstand the harsh conditions of space for at least 10 years, and potential repairs or adjustments will be made remotely by engineers and scientists on Earth.

5. What discoveries do scientists hope to make with the JWST?

Scientists hope that the JWST will help answer some of the biggest questions in fundamental physics, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the origins of the universe, and the potential for life on other planets. It may also reveal new insights into the cosmic web and the formation of galaxies. Ultimately, the JWST will greatly expand our understanding of the universe and our place within it.