Where Can I Find Jarque-Bera Critical Values for My Textbook?

In summary, the Jarque-Bera distribution is a statistical distribution used to test for normality in a data set. It is calculated by comparing the skewness and kurtosis of the data to those of a normal distribution, and a low p-value indicates that the data is not normally distributed. This distribution is important for determining if data is suitable for certain types of analysis, but it has limitations and should be used with caution and in combination with other tests.
carlson
I need help in locating a source where I can obtain permission to include a Table of Jarque-bera critical values in a textbook that I am publishing with prentice Hall
carlsoncharbill@msn.com

Physics news on Phys.org
The chi-square article on Wikipedia has a number of external links, some of which may be public: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-square_distribution

EnumaElish

What is the Jarque-Bera Distribution?

The Jarque-Bera distribution is a statistical distribution used to test for normality in a data set. It is based on the Jarque-Bera test, which compares the skewness and kurtosis of a data set to those of a normal distribution. It is commonly used in finance and economics to test for the normality of financial returns.

How is the Jarque-Bera Distribution calculated?

The Jarque-Bera distribution is calculated by taking the skewness and kurtosis of a data set and using them to calculate a test statistic. This test statistic follows a chi-squared distribution, and a p-value can be calculated to determine if the data set is likely to be from a normal distribution. A low p-value indicates that the data is not normally distributed.

What is the purpose of using the Jarque-Bera Distribution?

The Jarque-Bera distribution is used to test for normality in a data set, which is an important assumption in many statistical analyses. If a data set is not normally distributed, it may be necessary to use different statistical methods. Therefore, the Jarque-Bera distribution helps researchers determine if their data is suitable for certain types of analysis.

What are the limitations of the Jarque-Bera Distribution?

The Jarque-Bera distribution is not appropriate for all types of data, as it assumes that the data is unimodal and symmetric. It also has limitations when dealing with small sample sizes. Additionally, the Jarque-Bera test is sensitive to outliers, so extreme values in a data set can affect the results.

When should I use the Jarque-Bera Distribution?

The Jarque-Bera distribution should be used when testing for normality in a data set, particularly in the fields of finance and economics. It is also useful for comparing the normality of different data sets. However, it should be used with caution and in combination with other tests to ensure the validity of the results.