How Can I Display Each Digit of a Four-Digit Integer on a Separate Line in Java?

In summary: Something like this:for(int i = 0; i < integer2.length(); i++){ System.out.println(integer2.charAt(i));}This will go through each character in the string and print it on a separate line. In summary, the conversation is about creating a program that reads a four-digit integer as a string and displays it vertically, one digit per line, using string methods and a loop. The conversation also mentions using the Scanner class for input and the charAt method for getting individual characters from a string.
J.live
Write a program that reads four-digit integer as a string , such as 1998 and then displays it, one digit per line, like so:

Attempt:
Scanner keyboard2 = new Scanner (System.in);
String integer2= "Input a 4 digit number:";
System.out.println(integer2);

How do I make it read ? How do I go about this using string method ? I am lost. Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
huh...never seen the Scanner class before. Here's the first doc page I found:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/ndale/Scanner.html

Looks like you can call Scanner.next() to get a string from stdin.

Then you could use String.charAt( x ) to get each character for printing. See here:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/String.html

For extra credit I guess you could do error checking and stuff to make sure you always get a four digit number as input.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I implement digits into the split characters ?

Like I type in any four digit number and prints it in a vertical fashion.

Never mind , I got it.

Last edited:
Your integer2 variable is a string instance, which is essentially an array of type char. You can use the charAt method on the string class to get the character at the specified index.

For instance, if integer2 contains the characters '2', '0', '1', and '1', the expression integer2.charAt(2) evaluates to the character value '1'.

You can use a loop to peel off each character in your integer2 variable.

To read the input from the user, you can use the Scanner class in Java. This class has a method called nextLine() which reads a line of input from the user. You can then use the String class to manipulate the input and display it one digit per line. Here is an example code:

import java.util.Scanner;

public class Main {
public static void main(String[] args) {
Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);
System.out.println("Input a 4 digit number:");
String input = keyboard.nextLine();
for(int i = 0; i < input.length(); i++) {
System.out.println(input.charAt(i));
}
}
}

In this code, we first create a Scanner object to read the input from the user. Then, we prompt the user to input a 4 digit number and use the nextLine() method to store the input in a String variable called "input". Next, we use a for loop to iterate through each character in the input and use the charAt() method to print each digit on a separate line.

I hope this helps and gives you an idea of how to approach this problem using String methods. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the difference between the length() and size() methods in Java?

The length() method is used for strings and returns the number of characters in the string, while the size() method is used for collections and returns the number of elements in the collection.

2. Can the charAt() method be used to modify a string in Java?

No, the charAt() method only returns the character at a specific index in a string and cannot be used to modify the string. To modify a string, you can use the substring() method or convert the string to a character array and modify the array.

3. How do I convert a string to all uppercase or lowercase in Java?

You can use the toUpperCase() and toLowerCase() methods to convert a string to all uppercase or lowercase, respectively. These methods return a new string with the converted characters.

4. What is the difference between the equals() and equalsIgnoreCase() methods in Java?

The equals() method compares two strings and returns true if they are an exact match, including case sensitivity. The equalsIgnoreCase() method also compares two strings, but ignores differences in case, returning true if the strings are equal regardless of case.

5. How do I check if a string contains a specific character or substring in Java?

You can use the contains() method to check if a string contains a specific substring. To check for a specific character, you can use the indexOf() or contains() methods and specify the character you want to check for.