Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jessica Lynch

1. Dec 28, 2003 #1
    Remember Jessica Lynch? First she was a brave soldier, cut down like a jawbone-swinging hero on the front lines. Then she was rescued by a daring special forces raid, from a hell-hole in which the nasty Iraqis were torturing her.

Then it turned out to be a bunch of crap, a propaganda puff piece.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2
    She has proven herself to be a hero in speaking out against her use as a propaganda tool. We should all be super proud of her.

4. Dec 29, 2003 #3
    Reminds me of the time they put a Mission Accomplish sign in the aircraft carrier.

5. Dec 29, 2003 #4
    Zero is correct.

6. Dec 29, 2003 #5
    I agree...I saw her in an interview and I admire her honesty. She is the first to admit she was not a hero, but, I thank her immensely for being at the front line of duty and protecting America to the best of her ability.

7. Dec 29, 2003 #6
    I admire her honesty too. It was nice of her to stand up against the whitehouse gimps who twisted everything.

How did she protect America?

8. Dec 29, 2003 #7

jb

i'm not going to cricize lynch, because she was just doing her job.

but this goes back to the issue of the war, how are we protecting america, when we're invading a country which wasn't even a threat, and in the process pissing off a lot of people?

also, i think somehow, larry flynt helped pvt. lynch's case somewhat... even though he did buy pictures of her, he refused to publish them, and also publicly said she was the victim of a government propaganda scam.

9. Dec 30, 2003 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

Larry Flynt has been surpassed in obscenity by the mainstream media and the government.

Njorl

10. Dec 30, 2003 #9
    It is funny, and true...at least Larry Flynt doesn't waste our time talking about politicians' hair and the colors of their suits. It is a sad day when Hustler is doing better reporting than the mainstream media.

11. Dec 30, 2003 #10
    It's already been mentioned but yes, way to go Lynch for not being a tool for the government.

That in my opinion, is the reason why I would consider her a hero.

12. Dec 30, 2003 #11
    Because I was in the Military, I seem to have my own views of Jessica Lynch. She is in "no" way a Hero. Yes it is tragic that she was taken captive and abused, but that has happened to many American soldiers. I feel that she is using her experience for profitable purposes just as much as the Military was using her. I think the thing that topped it all off for me was when she came out with her book. I mean she did absolutely "NOTHING" to warrant a 1 million dollar book deal. She wasn’t even conscious through the whole thing. What about the POWs that went through all the interrogations? She was just a victim of bad circumstances. Where are a majority of the other POWs now? Oh yeah most of them are still "IN" the military fighting for a cause (reasonable or not). They did not use their experience as a reason to get released from the military early, and make money from it. To me they are the Hero's whose names should be held high. I don't care that she came out and said that she is not a Hero; she is still exploiting what she went through to make money, and within that she looses all respect for the tragedy of what she went through. But as I said mine is just one opinion, and no one sees things exactly the same as the next person.

13. Dec 30, 2003 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Actually, that's pretty much my take on the whole thing, too.

14. Dec 30, 2003 #13
    But the whole point is, she didnt go through anything. She didnt go down fighting, her gun was found and it hadnt fired a single shot, she wasnt raped or tortured. The Iraqi doctors that treated her actually tried returning her to American soldiers but where unsuccesful, and the amazing special forces rescue was in a hopsital that was minimum security.

Im not taking anything away from her, i have no doubt that she is a very brave woman, it takes a hell of alot of courage just to go there, but how sad is it that the governement tried using this for propaganda.

15. Dec 30, 2003 #14

Njorl

Science Advisor

She was rendered physically unable to serve because of her injuries.

This is America. If you can make money, you do. Besides, she sold her story to set the record straight. Many people were getting rich telling lies about her, she can hardly be faulted in the slightest for wanting to tell the truth. It would be different if she were the first one to sell her story.

Two broken legs, one broken arm one broken foot one broken ankle a broken lumbar vertabra, causing temporary paralyzation, requiring spinal surgury to repair is not "nothing".

Njorl

16. Dec 30, 2003 #15
    So that makes it right for her to sell her story for 1 million dollars! So that she can tell the truth. If she wanted to do just that, then she could have said it on the news and left it at that. Your right this is America and you do have the right to make money off anthing that you can. So she is using the American public, just as bad as she was used by the government, to make a buck. Hmmm,then why is everyone complaining about how she was used? Why not complain about how she is abusing the system also.

Your right, I agree that I should have read up a bit more about her injuries before saying what I did. She does have injuries warrenting a discharge. But the fact is she still did "nothing" to warrent any recognition, other than she was rescued.

One of my biggest problems with the whole Jessica Lynch fiasco is all the poor Jessica websites, magizine articals, etc.. We don't really hear anything about the other POWs that were rescued. That is because they are not prancing around the TV seen to just say "I was used by the Government, now buy my book". And because she was out there promoting her book, she was actually too busy to meet the Lawyer that saved her life when he arrived in the US. "The Lynch family's lawyer, Stephen Goodwin, said the 20-year-old former army supply clerk was too busy with five-day-a-week rehabilitation from her injuries and commitments related to next month's release of her book, I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story." That just goes to show what her agenda is.

I don't agree with the Gov. either though. They picked her because she was a "young, white, female", nothing more. What about the young black female, or the 2 male helicopter pilots? Nothing. So yes, the Gov. was also wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right do they?

For what? All she is doing is using the American public for the same reasons (Bottom line: the Goverment used her to get more money to keep the war going. She's using the American public to for the same thing, money). I'm speaking out against what she is doing. Does that make me a Hero also? What would impress me is if she decided to use that money that she has made and put it to a good cause, not just get rich and fat off of it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  17. Dec 30, 2003 #16
    It would appear that i overlooked this, when i said she went through nothing i should have said that once captured she wasnt subjected to any torture or rape.

18. Dec 30, 2003 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Dec 30, 2003 #18
    What I think is even more horrible is the government using HER for their propaganda.

20. Dec 30, 2003 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So exactly what has all that propaganda been that is so offensive?

21. Dec 30, 2003 #20
    She really did have some problems, and I believe she still can't walk unaided. Yes, she had a rough time, and serious injuries.

The problem is that the whitehouse turned it into a Rambo movie. They claimed she was being beaten and tortured by evil Iraqi bad guys, to show the world how nasty those pesky Iraqis are, further justifying the whole adventure. They made a big deal about the super-brave special forces guys who went in doing their ninja stuff to rescue her.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?