Jesuit Education for Physics: Comparing Loyola Chicago to U-Mo-Rolla

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, the person is considering going to different schools for their undergraduate degree in physics. They go to Jesuit school, SLU (Saint Louis University), and UMSL (University of Missouri-St. Louis). Loyola College has an interesting program for a degree in Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics, but the cost is expensive.
mgiddy911
I am wondering if anyone has experience with Physics from a Jesuit school standpoint. My st. louis high school (I am a senior) is Jesuit, and I love it. The education is great but the price is expensive. I am looking into going to Loyola Chicago for college. They have an interesting program for a degree in Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics. I love Chicago and would like to continue a jesuit education sine I have had a great experience so far, but I am wondering if it would be wiser to go to a school such as U-Mo-Rolla, which is well known for engineering and costs much much less.

So does anyone know about Loyola's or other Jesuit School Physics programs compared to state schools like Rolla?
Thanks for the help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What about SLU? (Saint Louis Universtiy) That's right by you and will more likely give you more financial aid ( from personal experience and friends) than Loyola and I think they may even be cheaper ( have to check that.) Plus they're Jesuit ( said you loved the Jesuit school). Would you by chance go to Desmet? I attend SLU ( originally from Chicago) . It's funny, I know a lot of kids who want to leave chicago and go to stl, while kids from stl wanting to go to chicago. go figure lol

According to his previous posts, he goes to SLUH, a school which I happen to be an alumnus of. :) Unfortunately, I'm not a physics major, and I go to a public university, so as much as I would like to, I can't really help you out, mgiddy.

Yes infact I do go to SLUH, its an amzing school.
I haven't looked into SLU much yet, I have been wanting to get out of St. Louis. I know nothing about SLU's physics Dept. Loyola's sounded like it had promissing opputrunities, they offered many different opptions within the physics undergrad major.
If I went to a state school It'd probably be either Rolla Mizzou or UMSL
UMSL is very close to my house and that puts me off as well. Yet also Rolla is in a small town with not much to offer but has the reputation of science and engineering. ALl of those schools are much cheaper than Loyola as well. I know I'd be able to continue to play water polo on a club team in Chicago as well as in st. louis or columbia but probably not in Rolla.

I will look into SLU, any info will be appreciated, thanks for the posts

FAQ: Jesuit Education for Physics: Comparing Loyola Chicago to U-Mo-Rolla

1. What is Jesuit education and how does it relate to physics?

Jesuit education is a type of education that is rooted in the Jesuit tradition, which is a Catholic religious order. It emphasizes the development of the whole person, including intellectual, spiritual, and moral growth. Jesuit education for physics focuses on a rigorous scientific curriculum that integrates the principles of physics with ethical and moral values, as well as a commitment to social justice and service to others.

2. What are the main differences between Loyola Chicago and U-Mo-Rolla in terms of Jesuit education for physics?

Loyola Chicago and U-Mo-Rolla both have strong physics programs grounded in Jesuit education. However, there are some key differences between the two. Loyola Chicago places a greater emphasis on social justice and service, while U-Mo-Rolla may have a more traditional approach to physics education. Additionally, Loyola Chicago has a larger focus on interdisciplinary studies and the integration of ethical and moral values into the curriculum.

3. How do students benefit from a Jesuit education for physics?

Students who receive a Jesuit education for physics are not only well-versed in the principles of physics, but they also develop critical thinking skills, a strong moral compass, and a commitment to social responsibility. They are able to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems and contribute to the betterment of society.

4. Are there any notable alumni from Loyola Chicago and U-Mo-Rolla's Jesuit education for physics programs?

Yes, both Loyola Chicago and U-Mo-Rolla have produced notable alumni in the field of physics. Some examples include Dr. Katherine Freese, a theoretical physicist and professor at the University of Michigan who graduated from Loyola Chicago, and Dr. Kip Thorne, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who graduated from U-Mo-Rolla.

5. How does Jesuit education for physics prepare students for post-graduate studies and careers?

Jesuit education for physics provides students with a strong foundation in both scientific principles and ethical values, making them well-equipped for post-graduate studies and careers in various fields. The interdisciplinary approach and focus on critical thinking also prepare students for a wide range of career paths, including research, teaching, and industry positions.