What is the correct way to solve this problem?

• Thread starter TonkaQD4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swing
In summary: Also, if you are asking if I went to Central, no, I didn't.In summary, Johnny jumps off a swing and slides down a grassy 20 degree slope, coming to a stop after sliding 3.5 meters. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the grass and the seat of Johnny's pants is 0.5. After seeking help on a forum, it is determined that the correct equation to use is mgsin(theta) - umgcos(theta) = ma, where theta is the angle of the slope. Using this equation, it is calculated that Johnny's initial velocity on the grass was 2.96 m/s. Some confusion arose due to a misunderstanding of the angle and a mistake in the
TonkaQD4
Johnny jumps off a swing, lands sitting down on a grassy 20 degree slope, and slides 3.5 meters down the slope before stopping. The coefficient of kinetic friction between grass and the seat of Johnny's pants is 0.5. What was his intial speed on the grass?

I started to do this problem on my own, and came to a stop due to confusion, so I looked for other forums and found a posting that was similar to the way I started my problem and then followed his finishing steps which I thought were accurate but, turns out, it is wrong and I can't figure out why. What am I doing wrong?

ma = \mu mg \cos 20

a=\mu g \cos20 (since the m's cancel out)

a=.5(9.8)cos20

a=4.604

Kinematic Equation

vf^2= vi^2 + 2ad ---> Velocity and Displacement

0=vi^2 + (-32.23)

vi= 5.677

This is wrong though...

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first equation, shouldn't it be ma=mgcos20-umgcos20 instead? where u is the coefficient of friction.

TonkaQD4 said:
Johnny jumps off a swing, lands sitting down on a grassy 20 degree slope, and slides 3.5 meters down the slope before stopping. The coefficient of kinetic friction between grass and the seat of Johnny's pants is 0.5. What was his intial speed on the grass?

I started to do this problem on my own, and came to a stop due to confusion, so I looked for other forums and found a posting that was similar to the way I started my problem and then followed his finishing steps which I thought were accurate but, turns out, it is wrong and I can't figure out why. What am I doing wrong?

ma = \mu mg \cos 20

a=\mu g \cos20 (since the m's cancel out)

a=.5(9.8)cos20

a=4.604

Kinematic Equation

vf^2= vi^2 + 2ad ---> Velocity and Displacement

0=vi^2 + (-32.23)

vi= 5.677

This is wrong though...
You forgot to include the component of johnny's weight down the slope in your calc for acceleration.

We are not given Johnny's weight

TonkaQD4 said:
We are not given Johnny's weight
Yes, this is true. But does it matter? You have already noted that the m's cancel...

The usual acc of a block on a plane of inclination theta which is at rest is given by

[tex]mgsin\theta\ - \mu}mgcos\theta\ = ma[/tex]

But here it has some initial velocity and hence its acc would be different. Hence we cannot apply the above equation.

So in the above equation on the right hand side we will add mA. Where A is the acc by which the boy lands on the plane.

This mA is the resolution of mg and mA' where A' is the acc in the horizontal direction .But we are not given the type of jump which the boy commits.

Hence i think that some data is missing.

If the boy is just falling on the ground then we can easily find the answer.

No other INFO.

I think it is just assumed that the boy falls exactly parallel to the 20 degree slope and instantly starts sliding.

There is no info that states the boy's mass.

FED EX:

You equation actually worked if you just cancel out all the m's and then plug and chug.

g sintheta - mu g costheta = a

9.8sin20 - 0.5(9.8)cos20 = a

3.35 - 4.604 = a

a = - 1.25

Now plug this into the Kinematic equation

V_f^2 = V_i^2 + 2ad

0 = V_i^2 + 2(-1.25)(3.5)

V_i^2 = sqrt 8.77

Initial Velocity = 2.96m/s

How do you draw a Free Body Diagram of this situation?

I know we can get the answer from the equation which i gave. But the answer is wrong.Because this is for a mass which is stationary in the initial stage.

When the boy falls he has some acc and we have to consider it.This acc adds up with mgsin(theta)

Can somebody draw a Free-Body Diagram of this situation?

It seems like something is off for my x-componenet.

F_x=ma_x

-f_k - Fgcostheta = ma_x
-f_k - mgcostheta = ma_x
-u_kn - mgcostheta = ma_x Substitute mgsintheta in for "n" which is the y comp.
-u_k * mgsintheta - mgcostheta = ma_x u is really mu but I am writing it as "u" to simplify

Therefore

a_x = -g(u_ksintheta + costheta) ---> I'm not sure if my neg/pos are correct

-9.8(.5sin70 + cos70)

a_x = -1.25m/s ... I'm not sure if that is correct, Please help

Tonka, you go to CWU huh :)?

TonkaQD4 said:
It seems like something is off for my x-componenet.

F_x=ma_x

-f_k - Fgcostheta = ma_x
-f_k - mgcostheta = ma_x
-u_kn - mgcostheta = ma_x Substitute mgsintheta in for "n" which is the y comp.
-u_k * mgsintheta - mgcostheta = ma_x u is really mu but I am writing it as "u" to simplify

Therefore

a_x = -g(u_ksintheta + costheta) ---> I'm not sure if my neg/pos are correct

-9.8(.5sin70 + cos70)

a_x = -1.25m/s ... I'm not sure if that is correct, Please help
I see you've switched your thetas from 20 degrees wrt x-axis to 70 degrees wrt y axis, which is OK, but it confuses the problem. Then your plus/minus sign seem messed. Stick with what was posted earlier...mgsintheta - umgcostheta =ma, where theta is 20 degrees, and a comes out negative implying the acceleration is up the plane , slowing johnny to a stop. The acceleration is independent of what acceleration johnny may have had as he smoothly hit the slopes.

1. What is the scientific explanation for why Johnny jumps off the swing?

The scientific explanation for why Johnny jumps off the swing is due to the law of inertia. When Johnny is swinging, he is in a state of motion and wants to continue moving in a straight line. However, when he jumps off the swing, he is no longer supported and his body continues moving forward, causing him to land on the ground.

2. How does the height of the swing affect Johnny's jump?

The height of the swing affects Johnny's jump because the higher he swings, the more potential energy he gains. When he jumps off the swing, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher and farther jump.

3. Can Johnny's jump be influenced by external factors, such as wind?

Yes, external factors such as wind can influence Johnny's jump. If there is a strong wind blowing against Johnny's direction of motion when he jumps off the swing, it can slow down his jump and cause him to land closer to the swing. On the other hand, if the wind is blowing in the same direction as Johnny's motion, it can help him jump even farther.

4. Is there a maximum distance that Johnny can jump off the swing?

Yes, there is a maximum distance that Johnny can jump off the swing, which is determined by the initial height of the swing and the angle at which he jumps off. This is because the maximum distance a projectile can travel is dependent on its initial velocity and the angle at which it is launched.

5. How does the force of gravity affect Johnny's jump?

The force of gravity plays a crucial role in Johnny's jump as it is constantly pulling him towards the ground. When he jumps off the swing, gravity is what causes him to accelerate towards the ground, ultimately resulting in his landing. The force of gravity also affects the trajectory of his jump, causing him to follow a curved path rather than a straight line.