Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Join the cisco courses so i can get a certification

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    hi i am planning to join the cisco courses so i can get a certification as soon as i can...i am currently studying electrical engineering and i finished my 200 courses ..so my question is can i get a permanent job after getting my cisco certification until i graduate ... and what kind of job...thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I believe that the Cisco classes certify you to be an installer of their routers and other equipment. I would think that you could get a technician-level job with the Cisco certification. In the info for their classes, Cisco must give some indication of what companies would be potential employers -- can you contact them to see if they are hiring? Check their websites under the "Employment" pages to see what jobs they have open at the moment.

4. May 9, 2007 #3

Evo

Cisco certifications are nice to have if you plan to work in IT. Since CISCO is the most widely used routers, switches, etc.. for data and IP networks, they are well worth the effort to get. Employers are willing to pay more if you are certified, if they need someone certified. A lot of small companies can't afford CISCO certified techs on their payroll and will hire a tech on an "as needed" basis from a company that outsources. Depending on what you want to do, there are different certifications.

5. May 9, 2007 #4
    it is a good point but i was thinking to get any certification in networking becasue i am gonna study communication in electrical engineering ... so i was thinking to work while i am studying instead of working in some restaurants and like that anyway... i have no school now till january so i have time to study it ... so do you think i can have a certification in about 6 months and use this certification to work while i study ... and adding that networking is a good major in communication...

6. May 9, 2007 #5

Evo

Do you have any experience in IT?

Here is the link to CISCO's certification site. When I did my certification there were only certain times you could take the tests.

You really need to understand what you want to achieve and take the correct certification, these also are not free. Six months is not unreasonable for the simpler certifications if you are a fast learner and have enough time to devote to it.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

7. May 9, 2007 #6
    ok i got the point ...what do you recommend? my point is that i want to study something in this free time that i can use in january while i study and make money of just permanently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?