Technical issues in the administration of differential-psychological instruments
honestrosewater said:
It was all verbal; She would ask a question, I answered (or arranged cards in a certain order or such), and she would ask why I chose that answer; It felt more like a conversation than a test, and you had to explain your reasoning. If they actually take your explanations into account, it should be even more difficult to get false positives on such a test.
The explanation might not have contributed to the test score. The intructions for the tester might have required asking the child to give some explanation for his particular ordering of the cards, without the particulars of the explanation being taken into account in the scoring.
By the way, card arranging is normally considered a performance item, not a verbal item.
I googled for the above IQ-test question and came up with this:
http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Articles/Using%20Test%20Results%20to%20Support%20Clinical%20Judgment.html
--
Some highly gifted children refuse to respond if a test question is too easy. They think it is a "trick question" and read many deeper meanings into the question than are helpful (Lovecky, 1994). They may get depressed IQ scores because of knowing too much about a subject rather than too little. For example, Melody Wood, who assesses highly gifted children in Maine, asked a girl who discovered America. The girl thought a long time and then said she didn’t know. When the test was over, Melody asked her the question again and she replied, "I know it wasn’t Christopher Columbus. That theory was disproven, but I just can’t remember who it was." We recommend that examiners explain to children that some of the questions were designed for much younger children and will be very, very easy [...]
--
I see at least two issues here. One is that of deciding what really constitutes legitimate common knowledge, and another is that of the testee's need to know at what ability level a given test item is aimed. These are issues that it may be productive to address in the science of ability testing.
honestrosewater said:
I guess it still bothers me.
Performance variance on individual items usually contributes to very little variance in one's overall score. The test administrator gave you multiple chances likely because she simply wanted to make sure you had been assessed as accurately as possible. And as I implied in my previous message to this thread, your performance is being gauged against a normed population whose members are also are not going to have perfect memory recall. Thinking about that population of hundreds or thousands of kids that the test was normed on, it is perhaps easy to realize that probably many of those kids similarly knew the Chris Columbus answer but their memory failed them. Also your memory did not fail you on many other of the knowledge items, but undoubtedly there were kids in the normed population who knew the correct answers but whose memories
did fail them. Every one of
their long-term-memory-retrieval failures pushed
your own (subtest and fullscale) scores up a little higher.