Joint Density of (X,Y) from R_PDF(r),V_PDF(v)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of joint densities and the process of finding independent variables and their marginal distributions in order to calculate a joint density. The concept of changing coordinates and the limitations of decomposing joint densities are also mentioned.
rabbed
For random variables (X,Y) = (R*cos(V),R*sin(V))
I have R_PDF(r) = 2*r/K^2
and V_PDF(v) = 1/(2*pi)
where (0 < r < K) and (0 < v < 2*pi)

Is XY_PDF(x,y) the joint density of X and Y that I get by using the PDF method with Jacobians from the distribution R_PDF(r)*V_PDF(v)?
So without having R_PDF(r) and V_PDF(v), just knowing that X^2+Y^2=R^2 - if I want to get XY_PDF(x,y) I would first need to find two independent variables describing both X and Y, then those independent variables marginal distributions in order to create the independent variables joint distribution and then I can calculate XY_PDF(x,y)?
Because only independent marginal distributions can be multiplied to form a joint density?

Physics news on Phys.org
rabbed said:
For random variables (X,Y) = (R*cos(V),R*sin(V))
I have R_PDF(r) = 2*r/K^2
and V_PDF(v) = 1/(2*pi)
where (0 < r < K) and (0 < v < 2*pi)

Is XY_PDF(x,y) the joint density of X and Y that I get by using the PDF method with Jacobians from the distribution R_PDF(r)*V_PDF(v)?

Yes, you would use a Jacobian to change coordinates in doing an integration and a "joint density" in a particular coordinate system is an integrand in that particular coordinate system. In your example, the joint distribution is a function of two variables. If you think about a distribution as being analagos to a physical object then its mass and mass density don't change physically just because you change the coordinate system that you are using to describe the object.
So without having R_PDF(r) and V_PDF(v), just knowing that X^2+Y^2=R^2

What do you mean by "just knowing". If you know the relation between (R,V) and (X,Y) but don't know the joint distribution of either (R,V) or (X,Y) then the relation between (R,V) and (X,Y) by itself doesn't give you distribution of either vector.

- if I want to get XY_PDF(x,y) I would first need to find two independent variables describing both X and Y, then those independent variables marginal distributions in order to create the independent variables joint distribution and then I can calculate XY_PDF(x,y)?
Because only independent marginal distributions can be multiplied to form a joint density?

If you have random variables (P,Q) with joint distribution f(P,Q) then it's very handy if you can find a way to change coordinates and describe the distribution as g(S,T) = h(S) m(T). However, this is not always possible.

A statement about what is always possible is the Kolmorogov-Arnold representation theorem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov–Arnold_representation_theorem,

The cases where g(S,T) can be written in some convenient way as g(S,T) = h(S) m(T) or g(S,T) = h(S) + m(T) etc. are remarkable and topics in statistics such as principal component analysis or independent component analysis focus around finding empirical ways to decompose joint densities in special ways.

I think what you have in mind is the fact that it's inconvenient to simulate a joint distribution in a computer program unless one can find a way to simulate it by simulating independent real valued random variables. However, the fact that it is not possible to write a given function f(P,Q) as a product doesn't mean that f(P,Q) is an "unknown" function.

Thanks for the good answer, Stephen

1. What is the joint density of (X,Y) from R_PDF(r),V_PDF(v)?

The joint density of (X,Y) from R_PDF(r),V_PDF(v) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of two random variables, X and Y, taking on specific values from their respective probability density functions (PDFs), R_PDF(r) and V_PDF(v).

2. How is the joint density of (X,Y) calculated?

The joint density of (X,Y) is calculated by multiplying the individual PDFs of X and Y, R_PDF(r) and V_PDF(v), respectively. This is based on the principle of joint probability, where the probability of two events occurring together is equal to the product of their individual probabilities.

3. What is the relationship between the joint density and marginal densities?

The joint density of (X,Y) can be used to calculate the marginal densities of X and Y, which represent the probability distributions of each variable individually. This is done by integrating the joint density over the other variable. In other words, the marginal density of X can be obtained by integrating the joint density over all values of Y, and vice versa.

4. Can the joint density of (X,Y) be used to calculate conditional probabilities?

Yes, the joint density of (X,Y) can be used to calculate conditional probabilities, which represent the probability of one variable taking on a specific value given the other variable has taken on a different value. This is done by dividing the joint density by the marginal density of the given variable.

5. What is the significance of the joint density of (X,Y) in statistical analysis?

The joint density of (X,Y) is a fundamental concept in statistical analysis as it allows for the analysis of two variables simultaneously. It is commonly used in regression analysis and other multivariate statistical techniques to understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions based on their joint probability distribution.