Just a question about calculating Killing vectors

• Thread starter BasharTeg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the concept of Killing vectors is a mathematical tool used to describe symmetries in a given space. It involves solving a set of partial differential equations known as the Killing equations and is important in various areas of physics. However, they can only be defined in certain types of spaces and it is possible to have more than one Killing vector in a space.
BasharTeg

Homework Statement

I am new to the whole GR concept so I just would like to know if what I did is correct or utterly ******** (and if so, why).
I have to find all Killing Vectors to a given metric (1) using equation (2). (2) leads to 3 partial differential equations which I used to calculate them.

Homework Equations

(1) [tex] ds^2=-dt^2 +dx^2 [/tex]

(2) [tex]L_{\xi}g_{\mu \nu}=\xi^{\alpha}\partial_{\alpha}g_{\mu \nu}+g_{\mu \alpha}\partial_{\nu}\xi^{\alpha}+g_{\alpha \nu}\partial_{\mu}\xi^{\alpha}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used equation to solve the three equations [tex]L _\xi g_{tt}=0[/tex], [tex]L _\xi g_{xx}=0[/tex] & [tex]L _\xi g_{tx}=0[/tex].
That leads to

[tex]\partial_t \xi^t=0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_x \xi^x=0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_t \xi^x=\partial_x \xi^t[/tex]

the first 2 lead to

[tex]\xi^t=f(x)[/tex]
[tex]\xi^x=g(t)[/tex]

and inserting that into the last equation shows that this one has to be equal to a constant since you can completely separate the x and t depention. So with integration I get:

[tex]\xi^x=g(t)=At+B[/tex]
[tex]\xi^t=f(x)=Ax+C[/tex]

So I have 3 constants and the solution:

[tex]\xi=A \binom{t}{x} + B \binom{0}{1}+C\binom{1}{0}[/tex]

and therefore those 3 vectors are the 3 linear independant Killing vectors.
Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your approach to finding the Killing vectors using equation (2) looks correct. However, I would suggest double checking your results by plugging in the vectors you found into the equation L_{\xi}g_{\mu \nu}=0 and verifying that it holds for all components of the metric.

Also, remember that the Killing vectors are not unique. So while your solution is correct, there may be other linearly independent Killing vectors as well. It would be helpful to double check your solution with a known solution or to compare it with other solutions found in the literature.

Overall, great job on tackling this concept and using the equations correctly! Keep up the good work.

1. What are Killing vectors and why are they important in physics?

Killing vectors are vector fields that preserve the metric tensor of a given space. They are important in physics because they are associated with symmetries of the space, and therefore play a crucial role in various physical theories, such as general relativity and classical mechanics.

2. How do you calculate Killing vectors?

The calculation of Killing vectors involves solving a set of differential equations known as the Killing equation. This equation relates the components of the vector field to the metric tensor of the space. The solution to these equations gives the components of the Killing vector.

3. What is the significance of the Killing equation in physics?

The Killing equation is significant in physics because it is a necessary condition for a spacetime to have a symmetry. This means that if a spacetime has a Killing vector, it has a corresponding physical symmetry, such as time translation or rotation.

4. Can Killing vectors be used to simplify calculations in physics?

Yes, Killing vectors can be used to simplify calculations in physics. They can be used to find conserved quantities in physical systems, such as energy and angular momentum, which can greatly simplify the equations of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Killing vectors in physics?

While Killing vectors are a powerful tool in physics, there are some limitations to their use. They are only defined in spaces with a metric tensor, and they may not exist in all spacetimes. Additionally, the presence of Killing vectors does not necessarily guarantee the existence of symmetries in a physical system.