Just a question on maximum probability

In summary, the maximum probability value that a cumulative density function (cdf) can have is 1. Probability is a number between 0 and 1 that represents the likelihood of an event occurring. It can also be expressed as a percentage between 0% and 100%. "Odds" are not the same as probability and can be converted to a probability value using the formula b/(a+b), where a and b are the numbers in the "a to b against" odds.
holymackerel
What is the maximum probability value that a cumulative density function (cdf) can have?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the maximum probability any event can have?

i assume it's infinite?

Then you need to review exactly what a "probability" is!

an event which represented by a real number in the range from 0 to 1... however does it apply to all applications?

First of all that is not the definition of probability: probability is not an "event"- although I am sure the definition refers to events. I've never heard of a definition that did not "apply to all applications".

And, to satisfy my curiosity, what does this have to do with differential equations?

for your latter question... i mistakenly posted in the wrong forum... i am new and i don't know how to delete this post and repost it in the probalbility section.

as for my initial question, i am still unclear because of the many different definitions from people and websites. i just want to make sure.

Think about it this way: you can either be guaranteed that an event will take place or you can be less sure until you are guaranteed the event won't take place.

Quantify the above.

The standard definition of "probability" requires that "P(n)= probability that even n happens" be a number from 0 to 1. Thus the largest and probability can be is 1.

Sometimes probability is expressed as a percentage: 0 to 100% is, of course, 0 to 1.

Sometimes you will see "odds" as in "50 to 1 odds against" but that is not "probability". If the odds an event will happen are "a to b against" then the probability that it will happen is b/(a+b) which is always between 0 and 1.

1. What is maximum probability?

Maximum probability refers to the highest likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. In other words, it is the most probable result based on the available data and information.

2. How is maximum probability calculated?

Maximum probability is calculated by using mathematical models and statistical methods to analyze the available data and determine the most likely outcome. This process involves considering all possible outcomes and assigning a probability value to each one.

3. Is maximum probability always accurate?

No, maximum probability is not always accurate as it is based on available data and assumptions. It is subject to change as new data and information becomes available.

4. What is the significance of maximum probability in scientific research?

Maximum probability is important in scientific research as it allows scientists to make informed decisions and predictions based on the available data. It helps in identifying patterns and trends, and can also be used to validate or refute scientific theories.

5. Can maximum probability be used to predict future events?

Yes, maximum probability can be used to predict future events based on the available data and assumptions. However, it is important to keep in mind that it is not always accurate and should be continuously reevaluated as new data becomes available.