Just a quick question about private commodity investors and P. Bush.

• News
  • Thread starter K.J.Healey
  • Start date
In summary, President Bush and his family have investments in Middle Eastern countries and their oil. Increasing the flow of unrefined oil out of the uninvested middle east would create a greater supply and thus decrease the price and PROFIT made per barrel.
K.J.Healey
I hate to drag this question into politics, and I know I'm fairly ignorant on the subject matter, by my example/questions are :

What investments does President Bush and his family have in middle eastern countries and their oil? I had thought that it was mainly Saudi involvement, and not Iran/Iraq.

Wouldn't an increased flow of unrefined oil out of the uninvested middle east create a greater supply and thus decrease the price and PROFIT made per barrel? It seems like simple economics. I believe GW has some part ownership of an off-shore drilling company as well. How could increasing the flow do anything but hurt him?

I myself am a moderate democrat. I just hear so much from fellow democrats/liberals about Bush is in the middle east for the oil. I'm wondering how exactly he will profit from it. Is it from gaining contracts and such?

Physics news on Phys.org
--- or, "Does the U. S. have any 'strategic interest' in the ME besides oil and personal profit?" Does that parallel your question at all?

Go to the world globe; get out the cellophane tape and some string; mark the world's maritime trade routes on the globe; mark alternate routes for moving trade around key "choke points;" compare the string lengths for the current routes and the alternate routes; figure the differences in transportation costs, tenths of a cent per ton mile for bulk materials to pennies a ton mile for finished goods in containers or on special carriers; and, you'll have the answer.

Bystander said:
--- or, "Does the U. S. have any 'strategic interest' in the ME besides oil and personal profit?" Does that parallel your question at all?

Go to the world globe; get out the cellophane tape and some string; mark the world's maritime trade routes on the globe; mark alternate routes for moving trade around key "choke points;" compare the string lengths for the current routes and the alternate routes; figure the differences in transportation costs, tenths of a cent per ton mile for bulk materials to pennies a ton mile for finished goods in containers or on special carriers; and, you'll have the answer.

So you're saying there's some other reason for the US being in the middle east other than OIL! Ludicrous! Because from what my more libral friends have been spitting at me has been basically that somehow all Bush wants is oil.

But I must say that my friends (90% of them) are fairly ignorant of anything going on in the world aside from what local news stations tell them. That or what they read online (non-press). So don't worry, I have no disrespect toward any general party or group of people. I just simply wanted to know the references for the whole "no blood for oil" stuff.

Bystander said:

Sounds good technically, but the only strategic shipping in the middle east that is of a concern to the U.S., is the shipping of oil and oil related products, especially through the Strait of Hormuz. So it all boils down to oil in and from the middle east. When the oil is gone in another thirty years or so, we won't give a rats tu tu about the middle east.

The bulk of world trade is done by container ships in the open oceans.

edward said:
Sounds good technically, but the only strategic shipping in the middle east that is of a concern to the U.S., is the shipping of oil and oil related products, especially through the Strait of Hormuz. So it all boils down to oil in and from the middle east. When the oil is gone in another thirty years or so, we won't give a rats tu tu about the middle east.

The bulk of world trade is done by container ships in the open oceans.

Very good --- now, move that container ship from a port in India to a port on the Gulf or east coast of the U. S. --- you have three routes, at a penny a ton-mile. What is the shipping cost per ton for each route?

Healey01 said:
I hate to drag this question into politics, and I know I'm fairly ignorant on the subject matter, by my example/questions are :

What investments does President Bush and his family have in middle eastern countries and their oil? I had thought that it was mainly Saudi involvement, and not Iran/Iraq.

Here is a good read on the Bush family investments. You may also want to google "Bush Caryle Group".

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0111-01.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Bystander said:
Very good --- now, move that container ship from a port in India to a port on the Gulf or east coast of the U. S. --- you have three routes, at a penny a ton-mile. What is the shipping cost per ton for each route?

You are presuming that Iran has the militay capability , and would be stupid enough to try to permanently close the Suez canal.

Neither India or a lot of other countries, including China would go for that. India has changed tremendously in recent years, including their military and naval capabilities.

edward said:
You are presuming that Iran has the militay capability , and would be stupid enough to try to permanently close the Suez canal.

Flunked your mind-reading course again? Who said anything about Iran? Nasser closed the canal 50 years ago --- coincident with one of the 20th century's major global recessions (blamed by economists on Ike's domestic policies). The ME, or SW Asia, is the "land of ten thousand prophets," and ten thousand looney toons --- any of which can close the Suez any time they want to do a "Cole" re-run.

Neither India or a lot of other countries, including China would go for that. India has changed tremendously in recent years, including their military and naval capabilities.

Stable governments in the area are critical to the interests of the U. S., and of the world --- Islamic extremists, pan-Arab nuts, and the rest of the psychotic crew in the area have to be controlled by the governments in the area, or exterminated. Neither India nor China have the power projection capabilities to be credible guarantors of "freedom of the seas," never have, might in the future, but have more than enough internal concerns to expect it any time soon --- who put vehicles, body bags, water, and medicine on the beach in Sumatra? The close neighbors, or the U. S.? You wanta wait for the Indians and Chinese to resolve problems in the ME? We spent the 19th century living off GB and the Royal Navy's policies toward freedom of the seas --- picked up our share of the load in the first half of the 20th --- now it's our turn --- thankless? Yeah --- tough. The Brits and Anzacs do their shares --- Japs are interested in contributing more --- how's it all play out? We win, the world wins, we lose, the world loses --- we don't get credit for lifting the world's standard of living, and we get blamed for their failures to stand up for their own interests.

Bystander said:
The Suez canal?

What about Isarel I doesn't Bush/the U.S. support Isareal?

No more so than any other independent nation --- the extremists in the area have to have an excuse for the endless ass-whuppin's they get from the Israelis --- can't face themselves in the mirror knowing they're total losers.

What are private commodity investors?

Private commodity investors are individuals or organizations that invest in commodities such as gold, oil, or agricultural products. They typically have a high net worth and invest in these commodities as a way to diversify their investment portfolio and potentially earn a profit.

Who is P. Bush in relation to private commodity investors?

P. Bush is not a specific person, but rather a shortened way to refer to private commodity investors. The "P" stands for "private" and the "Bush" refers to the acronym "B-U-S-H," which stands for "bullion, oil, stocks, and housing." This term is often used in financial and investment discussions.

What are the benefits of investing in commodities through private investors?

There are a few potential benefits of investing in commodities through private investors. These include potentially higher returns due to the speculative nature of commodity markets, diversification of investment portfolio, and potential tax advantages. However, investing in commodities can also come with higher risks and volatility.

How do private commodity investors differ from institutional commodity investors?

Private commodity investors are individuals or smaller organizations, while institutional commodity investors are larger organizations such as pension funds, hedge funds, or banks. Private commodity investors typically have more flexibility and control over their investments, while institutional investors may have more resources and expertise.

What are some common strategies used by private commodity investors?

Some common strategies used by private commodity investors include long-term buy and hold, trend following, and spread trading. These strategies involve buying and selling commodities based on market trends, supply and demand, and other factors. It is important for private commodity investors to research and understand these strategies before investing.