What are the chemical reactions involved in metal plating?

• Thread starter Roger Paine
  • Start date
In summary, metal plating involves a series of chemical reactions that deposit a thin layer of metal onto a surface. The process typically involves a solution containing metal ions, an electrolyte to conduct electricity, and a power source to drive the reactions. The metal ions are reduced and deposited onto the surface, while the electrolyte is oxidized and replenished. The specific reactions depend on the metals involved, but commonly used metals for plating include gold, silver, nickel, and copper. Other chemicals may also be added to control the rate of deposition and improve the quality of the plated layer. Overall, metal plating is a complex process that requires precise control of chemical reactions to achieve a desired result.
Roger Paine
I'm a designer and blacksmith or metal working artist. My interesting chemistry has been stimulated by problems that I have had with corrosion and plating steel and iron. I set out to do copper plating as a means of adding colour to my work but the horizon has quickly expanded to include zinc, nickel & brass. I am accumulating chemicals at a rapid rate and want to know more about what is happening in the reactions that are happening.
More fun than something that is commonly regarded as a lot of fun but which doesn't spring immediately to mind...

Physics news on Phys.org