Just need to verify if this one needs to be subtracted or no.

• MHB
  • Thread starter jaytheseer
  • Start date
In summary, Mr. Gates initially owns 3/8 of Macrohard. After selling 1/3 of his share, he now owns 1/4 of Macrohard. This is because 1/8 of the entire block is removed from his 3/8 share, leaving him with 2/8 or 1/4 of the block.
jaytheseer
Mr. Gates owns 3/8 of Macrohard. After selling 1/3 of his share, how much more of Macrohard does Mr. Gates still own?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, I would view the subtraction in the form:

If Mr. Gates sold 1/3 of his share, how much of his share does he have left?

What portion of Macrohard is Mr. Gates' remaining share?

My solution so far:

3/8 = 9/24 and 1/3 = 8/24
9/24 - 8/24 = 1/24

But my book says a totally different thing which confuses me:

3/8 x 1/3 = 1/8.3/8 - 1/8 = 2/8 =1/4

Please help!

Mr. Gates owns 3/8 of Macrohard. This means that for every 8 shares of Macrohard out there, he owns 3 of them.

1/3 of 3, is of course, 1.

So if he sells 1/3 of his shares, he now only owns 2 shares out of every 8, which is 2/8 = 1/4.

When we take a fraction OF something, it means: "multiply".

So 1/3 OF 3/8 means:

MULTIPLY (1/3)*(3/8), from which we get: (1/3)*(3/8) = 1/8 <---how much he sold.

If we want to know how much he has LEFT, then we SUBTRACT, so:

3/8 - 1/8 = ...?

The way I look at it he has 2/3 of his shares left after selling 1/3. So the portion of Macrohard he still owns is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3}\cdot\frac{3}{8}=\frac{1}{4}\)

The OP is not realising that it is not 1/3 of the block which is being sold, but 1/3 of HIS PART of the block. So 1/3 of 3/8 = 1/3 x 3/8 = 1/8.

So what Mr Gates still owns is what's left after 1/8 of the entire block is removed from his 3/8 of the block, so 3/8 - 1/8 = 2/8 = 1/4.

3/8 - 1/8 = ...?

=2/8
=1/4

Very clear and simple to understand. Thank you!:)

Related to Just need to verify if this one needs to be subtracted or no.

1. Why is it necessary to verify if a value needs to be subtracted?

It is important to verify if a value needs to be subtracted to ensure accurate calculations and prevent errors in the final results. Subtracting a value when it should not be subtracted or vice versa can lead to incorrect conclusions and findings.

2. How do you determine if a value needs to be subtracted?

The decision to subtract a value is based on the specific context and purpose of the calculation. It could be based on the mathematical formula being used or the instructions provided for the experiment or study. It is important to carefully read and understand the instructions to determine if a value needs to be subtracted.

3. Can subtracting a value affect the overall outcome of an experiment or study?

Yes, subtracting a value can significantly impact the results of an experiment or study. If a value is incorrectly subtracted, it can alter the data and lead to incorrect conclusions. It is important to double-check and verify if a value needs to be subtracted to ensure the accuracy of the results.

4. Is there a specific order in which values should be subtracted?

The order in which values should be subtracted may vary depending on the specific context and mathematical formula being used. However, in most cases, the order of subtraction does not affect the final result as long as all the values are subtracted correctly.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes when subtracting values?

To avoid making mistakes when subtracting values, it is important to carefully read and understand the instructions or formula being used. It can also be helpful to double-check and verify the values that need to be subtracted before performing the calculation. Additionally, using a calculator or other tools can help minimize human error in calculations.