Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just wondering

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but what is the most spectacular thing you can heat/vaporize/destroy/explode in a conventional microwave oven without damaging the device?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

Gold Member

I suppose that depends upon what you mean by 'spectacular'. Do you want the most mess, or the most noise, or something else?
    Generally, you'd want something with a high water content and a really tough outer skin. Eggs are notorious for exploding, but sometimes they wait until they've been removed and put on the plate before they let go. I would expect that something like a grapefruit or coconut would deliver quite a bang. While the material won't damage the oven, it's very possible that the concussive force will.
    And, of course, you could always whip up some chemical compound that's specifically designed for such a thing. :devil:
    By the way, I've found out the hard way that tuna makes a bloody volcano in the nuker. I have to put a piece of wax paper over the bowl when I'm making my lunch.
  4. Apr 26, 2007 #3
    You might want to google "unwise microwave experiments". I remember seeing a fascinating page by that name.

CDs look pretty cool.

You can also make a spectacular plasma in there if you're a real badass. See the aforementioned web page.
  5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    if you microwave an egg on low for a few minutes then give it to someone when they try to peel it'll explode.
  6. Apr 26, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Try Christmas Tree Ornament's with the foil inside.
    Also light a small candle or match and watch the plasma puffs (Warning Toxic Gas)
    I had an egg explode all over me and the kitchen once; it scared the hell out of me. That was about 2 months ago and I and still finding pieces of egg stuck in strange places.
  7. Apr 26, 2007 #6
    CD is pretty cool. though TNT is sure to be quite the spectacle (wait, would TNT molecules even react under microwaves?).

anyway, be careful (if you watch myth-busters you know), never heat water in the microwave. if the water has nothing in it and is pure, it will boil without bubbling, and as soon as you remove it and something touches it it will explode in your face, potentially harming you very seriously!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?