Exploding the Limits: Microwaving Unusual Objects

• Thread starter delta001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses various things that can be heated, vaporized, or exploded in a conventional microwave oven without damaging it. Suggestions include eggs, grapefruits, coconuts, CDs, and chemical compounds. However, caution is advised as some experiments can be dangerous, such as microwaving pure water or creating plasma. The conversation also touches on the potential hazards of microwaving certain items, such as tuna or Christmas tree ornaments.
delta001
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but what is the most spectacular thing you can heat/vaporize/destroy/explode in a conventional microwave oven without damaging the device?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose that depends upon what you mean by 'spectacular'. Do you want the most mess, or the most noise, or something else?
Generally, you'd want something with a high water content and a really tough outer skin. Eggs are notorious for exploding, but sometimes they wait until they've been removed and put on the plate before they let go. I would expect that something like a grapefruit or coconut would deliver quite a bang. While the material won't damage the oven, it's very possible that the concussive force will.
And, of course, you could always whip up some chemical compound that's specifically designed for such a thing. :devil:
By the way, I've found out the hard way that tuna makes a bloody volcano in the nuker. I have to put a piece of wax paper over the bowl when I'm making my lunch.

You might want to google "unwise microwave experiments". I remember seeing a fascinating page by that name.

CDs look pretty cool.

You can also make a spectacular plasma in there if you're a real badass. See the aforementioned web page.

if you microwave an egg on low for a few minutes then give it to someone when they try to peel it'll explode.

Try Christmas Tree Ornament's with the foil inside.
Also light a small candle or match and watch the plasma puffs (Warning Toxic Gas)
I had an egg explode all over me and the kitchen once; it scared the hell out of me. That was about 2 months ago and I and still finding pieces of egg stuck in strange places.

CD is pretty cool. though TNT is sure to be quite the spectacle (wait, would TNT molecules even react under microwaves?).

anyway, be careful (if you watch myth-busters you know), never heat water in the microwave. if the water has nothing in it and is pure, it will boil without bubbling, and as soon as you remove it and something touches it it will explode in your face, potentially harming you very seriously!

1. What is "Exploding the Limits: Microwaving Unusual Objects"?

"Exploding the Limits: Microwaving Unusual Objects" is a scientific experiment that involves placing various objects in a microwave to observe their reactions and potential explosions.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to explore the limits of microwave technology and understand the potential hazards and safety precautions associated with microwaving unusual objects.

3. Are there any safety risks involved in this experiment?

Yes, there are potential safety risks involved in this experiment. Microwaving certain objects can cause explosions, fires, and release toxic fumes. It is important to follow safety guidelines and precautions when conducting this experiment.

4. What are some examples of unusual objects that can be microwaved?

Some examples of unusual objects that can be microwaved include aluminum foil, light bulbs, CDs, and grapes. It is important to note that microwaving these objects can be dangerous and should only be done under controlled conditions.

5. What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment can teach us about the properties of different materials and how they react to microwave radiation. It can also help us understand the importance of following safety guidelines and the potential dangers of misusing microwave technology.