K^n as a K[T]-module - Example 2.1.2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary: Under the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-action, U is a left module over K[T] and is isomorphic to the direct sum of the submodules U = U_1 \oplus U_2 where U_1 and U_2 are both left modules over K[T].So, in summary, the statement "V = K^n viewed as a module over the polynomial ring K[T]" is verified by the following equations:(DS1) U + W = V(DS2) U \cap W = \{0_V\}
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

I need help with understanding Example 2.1.2 (ii) (page 39) which concerns \(\displaystyle V = K^n\) viewed as a module over the polynomial ring \(\displaystyle K[T]\).

Example 2.1.2 (ii) (page 39) reads as follows:View attachment 2965In the above text by B&K we read:

" ... ... it is easy to verify that the decomposition \(\displaystyle V = U \oplus W\) expresses \(\displaystyle V\) as a direct sum of \(\displaystyle K[T]\)-submodules precisely when \(\displaystyle A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}B&0\\0&D\end{array}\right)\)

with \(\displaystyle B\) an \(\displaystyle r \times r\) matrix

and

\(\displaystyle D\) an \(\displaystyle (n - r) \times (n - r)\) matrix, \(\displaystyle B\) and \(\displaystyle D\) giving the action of \(\displaystyle T\) on \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle W\) respectively. ... ..."

I am trying to formally and rigorously verify this statement, but am unsure how to approach this task. Can someone please help me to get started on this verification ... ?

------------------------------------------------

Other relevant text in B&K that MHB members may need to interpret and understand the above example follows.

B&K's notation for polynomial rings is as follows:

View attachment 2966
B&K's definition of a module is as follows:
View attachment 2967
View attachment 2968
B&K's explanation and notation for \(\displaystyle K^n\) as a right module over \(\displaystyle K[T|\) is as follows:View attachment 2969

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first let's look at what we need to happen for $\mathcal{K}^n$ to be the direct sum of $U$ and $V$ as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-modules.

First of all, we need $U$ and $V$ to act as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-submodules.

The closure under addition is clear: as vector subspaces, both $U$ and $V$ are abelian groups, and thereby closed under addition.

So what we need to do is verify that they are likewise closed under the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-action, that:

$u \cdot f(T) \in U$ for all $f(T) \in \mathcal{K}[T]$ (a similar consideration holds for $V$).

So we need $Au \in U$. This will ensure that $A^tu \in U$, and therefore that:

$A^tuf_j \in U$, and so (adding all the terms) $u \cdot f(T) \in U$.

If we write $A$ in block form, this ($Au \in U$) becomes:

$\begin{bmatrix}B&H\\K&D \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}u\\0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}u'\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

To achieve this, we must have $Ku + D0 = Ku = 0$, for ALL $u \in U$. So $K$ is the 0-block.

A similar analysis with $V$ shows $H$ must be the 0-block.

Note that $U + W = V$ considered purely as abelian groups. Furthermore, note that:

$u \cdot 1_{\mathcal{K}[T]} = Iu\cdot 1 = u$, and similarly for $V$, so as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-modules these are non-zero (this is true even if the matrix $A$ is the 0-matrix, since the action of constant polynomials does not have any $A^tu$ terms).

Finally, since $U \cap W = \{0_V\}$ (since we have a direct sum of vector spaces), this is still true when we consider them as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-modules. So (DS1) and (DS2) are satisfied, we have a direct sum as modules.

(in my opinion this flows better with a left-action, but it's "essentially" the same).

Deveno said:
Well, first let's look at what we need to happen for $\mathcal{K}^n$ to be the direct sum of $U$ and $V$ as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-modules.

First of all, we need $U$ and $V$ to act as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-submodules.

The closure under addition is clear: as vector subspaces, both $U$ and $V$ are abelian groups, and thereby closed under addition.

So what we need to do is verify that they are likewise closed under the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-action, that:

$u \cdot f(T) \in U$ for all $f(T) \in \mathcal{K}[T]$ (a similar consideration holds for $V$).

So we need $Au \in U$. This will ensure that $A^tu \in U$, and therefore that:

$A^tuf_j \in U$, and so (adding all the terms) $u \cdot f(T) \in U$.

If we write $A$ in block form, this ($Au \in U$) becomes:

$\begin{bmatrix}B&H\\K&D \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}u\\0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}u'\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

To achieve this, we must have $Ku + D0 = Ku = 0$, for ALL $u \in U$. So $K$ is the 0-block.

A similar analysis with $V$ shows $H$ must be the 0-block.

Note that $U + W = V$ considered purely as abelian groups. Furthermore, note that:

$u \cdot 1_{\mathcal{K}[T]} = Iu\cdot 1 = u$, and similarly for $V$, so as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-modules these are non-zero (this is true even if the matrix $A$ is the 0-matrix, since the action of constant polynomials does not have any $A^tu$ terms).

Finally, since $U \cap W = \{0_V\}$ (since we have a direct sum of vector spaces), this is still true when we consider them as $\mathcal{K}[T]$-modules. So (DS1) and (DS2) are satisfied, we have a direct sum as modules.

(in my opinion this flows better with a left-action, but it's "essentially" the same).
Thanks Deveno ... but I need your help in order to clarify some of the mechanics of the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-actions for \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle V\) ...

I can see that \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle V\) are both abelian groups under addition and are therefore closed under addition, but as I have indicated above I am having trouble understanding the mechanics of the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-actions for \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle V\) ... hope you can help ...
I will explain my difficulties by focusing on \(\displaystyle U = \mathcal{K}^r\) ... the same considerations apply to \(\displaystyle V = \mathcal{K}^{n-r} \) ... ...

Now, consider the action \(\displaystyle u \bullet f(T)\) ... ...

\(\displaystyle u \bullet f(T) = u \bullet (f_0 + f_1T + f_2T^2 + ... \ ... + f_rT^r ) \)

Therefore, by the definition of the action we have:

\(\displaystyle u \bullet f(T) = uf_0 + Auf_1 + A^2uf_2 + ... \ ... + A^ruf_r \)

Now consider the term \(\displaystyle uf_0\) in the above expression ...

Let \(\displaystyle u = \begin{pmatrix} u_1 \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ u_r \end{pmatrix}\), \(\displaystyle f_0 = \begin{pmatrix} f_{10} \\ f_{20} \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f_{n0} \end{pmatrix}\)

... so how do we calculate/form \(\displaystyle uf_0\)?

Similarly \(\displaystyle A\) is \(\displaystyle (n \times n)\) , \(\displaystyle u\) is \(\displaystyle (r \times 1)\), and \(\displaystyle f\) is \(\displaystyle (n \times 1)\) ...

so then how do we calculate/form \(\displaystyle Auf_1 \) ... and so on?

Hope you can help ...

Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
Thanks Deveno ... but I need your help in order to clarify some of the mechanics of the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-actions for \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle V\) ...

I can see that \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle V\) are both abelian groups under addition and are therefore closed under addition, but as I have indicated above I am having trouble understanding the mechanics of the $\mathcal{K}[T]$-actions for \(\displaystyle U\) and \(\displaystyle V\) ... hope you can help ...
I will explain my difficulties by focusing on \(\displaystyle U = \mathcal{K}^r\) ... the same considerations apply to \(\displaystyle V = \mathcal{K}^{n-r} \) ... ...

Now, consider the action \(\displaystyle u \bullet f(T)\) ... ...

\(\displaystyle u \bullet f(T) = u \bullet (f_0 + f_1T + f_2T^2 + ... \ ... + f_rT^r ) \)

Therefore, by the definition of the action we have:

\(\displaystyle u \bullet f(T) = uf_0 + Auf_1 + A^2uf_2 + ... \ ... + A^ruf_r \)

Now consider the term \(\displaystyle uf_0\) in the above expression ...

Let \(\displaystyle u = \begin{pmatrix} u_1 \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ u_r \end{pmatrix}\), \(\displaystyle f_0 = \begin{pmatrix} f_{10} \\ f_{20} \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f_{n0} \end{pmatrix}\)

... so how do we calculate/form \(\displaystyle uf_0\)?

Similarly \(\displaystyle A\) is \(\displaystyle (n \times n)\) , \(\displaystyle u\) is \(\displaystyle (r \times 1)\), and \(\displaystyle f\) is \(\displaystyle (n \times 1)\) ...

so then how do we calculate/form \(\displaystyle Auf_1 \) ... and so on?

Hope you can help ...

Peter
$f \in \mathcal{K}[T]$, so when we write:

$f(T) = f_0 + f_1T + \cdots + f_nT^n$, each of the $f_j \in \mathcal{K}$, these are just field elements.

Now in our given basis for $\mathcal{K}^n$, a typical $u \in U$ looks like:

$u = \begin{pmatrix}u_1\\u_2\\ \vdots\\u_r\\0\\0\\ \vdots\\0 \end{pmatrix}$

This is an $n \times 1$ matrix, and $A$ is an $n \times n$ matrix, so $Au$ is an $n \times 1$ matrix.

$Auf_1$ is just the $n \times 1$ matrix where every entry of $Au$ is multiplied by the coefficient $f_1$ of $T$ in the polynomial $f(T)$ (we're only writing it on the right so we get a right-action).

In Example 2.1.2 (ii), B&K are discussing the module structure of the vector space V = K^n over the polynomial ring K[T]. This means that we are considering the action of polynomials in K[T] on the elements of V, where the coefficients of the polynomials act as scalars on the elements of V.

To understand this example, it is helpful to first consider the definition of a module. B&K define a module as an abelian group with an external scalar multiplication operation. In this case, the abelian group is the vector space V = K^n and the scalar multiplication operation is given by the polynomial ring K[T].

Now, in Example 2.1.2 (ii), B&K are showing that V can be decomposed into a direct sum of K[T]-submodules, where the action of T on the submodule U is given by the r x r matrix B, and the action of T on the submodule W is given by the (n-r) x (n-r) matrix D. In other words, the elements of U and W are invariant under the action of T, and the action of T on V can be understood by considering the actions of T on U and W separately.

To verify this statement, we need to show that the decomposition V = U \oplus W satisfies the definition of a direct sum of K[T]-submodules. This means that we need to show that U and W are both K[T]-submodules of V, and that their intersection is trivial (i.e. the only element in both U and W is the zero element).

To show that U and W are K[T]-submodules, we need to show that they are closed under the action of polynomials in K[T]. In other words, if u \in U and p \in K[T], then pu \in U. This follows from the fact that B gives the action of T on U, and since T is a polynomial in K[T], we can see that B also gives the action of polynomials in K[T] on U.

Similarly, we can show that W is also a K[T]-submodule by using the matrix D to show that it is closed under the action of polynomials. And since U and W are both K[T]-submodules, their intersection must also be a K[T]-submodule. However, since the only element in both U and W

Related to K^n as a K[T]-module - Example 2.1.2

1. What is K^n as a K[T]-module?

K^n as a K[T]-module refers to the vector space of n-tuples with coefficients in the field K, where the action of the polynomial ring K[T] is defined as multiplication of each element in the n-tuple by the polynomial T.

2. What is the significance of Example 2.1.2?

Example 2.1.2 serves as an illustration of a specific instance of K^n as a K[T]-module, where n=2 and K is the field of real numbers. It shows how the action of the polynomial ring K[T] on the vector space K^2 can be visualized geometrically.

3. How is K^n as a K[T]-module different from K^n as a vector space?

K^n as a K[T]-module includes the additional structure of the action of the polynomial ring K[T], whereas K^n as a vector space does not have this extra structure. This means that K^n as a K[T]-module has certain properties and operations that are not present in K^n as a vector space.

4. Can you give another example of K^n as a K[T]-module?

Another example of K^n as a K[T]-module would be the vector space of n-tuples with coefficients in the complex numbers, where the action of the polynomial ring K[T] is defined as multiplication of each element in the n-tuple by the polynomial T.

5. How is K^n as a K[T]-module related to linear algebra?

K^n as a K[T]-module is a generalization of the concept of a vector space, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra. The action of the polynomial ring K[T] on K^n as a K[T]-module is similar to the action of a linear transformation on a vector space, and many concepts and techniques from linear algebra can be applied to K^n as a K[T]-module.