Kansas City wins Google's First 1Gbps internet

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, Google has announced plans to launch a new broadband service in Kansas City, Kansas that will provide Internet speeds 100 times faster than what most Americans are used to. The service is expected to be operational by 2012, pending any potential destruction of the universe in October of this year. Google will begin in Kansas City, Kansas and is also considering Kansas City, Missouri for the service. The company plans to take applications for the service in the fall and it is likely that they will record all traffic on the network. The cost for the service has not yet been announced.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Who'd a thunk? It's supposed to be operational next year (2012), that is, of course, if the universe isn't destroyed in October this year. (thank you Borek for that information) :eek:

The new broadband service will deliver the Internet at over 1 gigabit per second or "100 times faster than what most Americans are used to," according to a Google background report. It will increase the speed of data transmissions, providing cleaner video signals and moving large files in a shorter amount of time.

"We want to be able to increase the speed of the Internet by a factor of 100," said Google executive Milo Medin. "This is the beginning, not the end, and we are starting in Kansas City, Kansas."

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/money/27371174/detail.html#ixzz1MdT6l7r8

More about it.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/27923785/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Who'd a thunk? It's supposed to be operational next year (2012), that is, of course, if the universe isn't destroyed in October this year. (thank you Borek for that information) :eek:

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/money/27371174/detail.html#ixzz1MdT6l7r8

More about it.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/27923785/detail.html

Google prefers a state that has the least computer usage to mask out their scalability issues. :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how internet works but would it have much impact if outside internet is 100 times slower if the information will be going out/coming in from outside?

rootX said:
I don't know how internet works but would it have much impact if outside internet is 100 times slower if the information will be going out/coming in from outside?

The core routers (routers that are not dealing with the end user) are way way faster. It is the last mile (that's between the service provider to the subscriber) the weakest link.

I am jealous! I know Milwaukee was in the running but I think our politics got in the way :(

I guess renaming the city to Google, Kansas, even if only temporarily, didn't hurt.

The bad news is that it's the pilot city for Google TiSP. :biggrin:

jhae2.718 said:
I guess renaming the city to Google, Kansas, even if only temporarily, didn't hurt.

...except that was Topeka, not KC.

This story is nearly 1.5 months old...

Oops. Uh, Topeka and Kansas City, what's the difference?

Looking from here even differences between Milwaukee and Kansas are blurred. And that even if I see much better now than 10 hours ago.

fss said:
...except that was Topeka, not KC.

This story is nearly 1.5 months old...
The updated announcement was just made today, (second link) it appears they will be offering the service in KC, MO also. They will be taking applications for service this fall.

So, will Google be recording all the traffic to add to their ever-growing databases?

jhae2.718 said:
So, will Google be recording all the traffic to add to their ever-growing databases?

Most likely.

I'm curious how much they will charge. I don't have the need for that much speed, so I'm not willing to pay much.

1. What is Google's First 1Gbps internet and why is it significant for Kansas City?

Google's First 1Gbps internet is a high-speed internet service that offers download and upload speeds of 1 gigabit per second (Gbps). It is significant for Kansas City because it is the first city to receive this service from Google, making it one of the fastest and most advanced internet cities in the world.

2. How did Kansas City win Google's First 1Gbps internet?

Kansas City won Google's First 1Gbps internet through a competition called "Google Fiber for Communities". This competition invited cities across the United States to submit proposals to show their interest and readiness for this high-speed internet service. Kansas City's proposal was selected by Google as the most suitable location.

3. What are the benefits of having Google's First 1Gbps internet for Kansas City residents?

The benefits of having Google's First 1Gbps internet for Kansas City residents include lightning-fast internet speeds, which will improve their online experience for activities such as streaming, gaming, and video conferencing. It will also attract businesses and entrepreneurs to the city, creating job opportunities and boosting the local economy.

4. How will Google's First 1Gbps internet impact the technology industry in Kansas City?

Google's First 1Gbps internet will have a significant impact on the technology industry in Kansas City. It will attract tech companies and startups to the city and provide them with the necessary infrastructure to thrive. This will also create a competitive environment, leading to innovation and growth in the technology sector.

5. Is Google's First 1Gbps internet available to all residents of Kansas City?

No, Google's First 1Gbps internet is currently only available in select neighborhoods of Kansas City. Google has plans to expand the service to more areas in the future, but for now, only certain residents will have access to this high-speed internet service.

Back