Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the maximum relative velocity of the ether wind is determined to be (u + v) where u and v complement each other. There is a factor of (1/2) beside the square in the expression for the difference in Δt between maximum and minimum relative velocities. The correct term for the problem is '4uv' rather than '2uv' as initially calculated.
unscientific

Homework Statement

lfdxh.jpg

In this problem i take the maximum relative velocity of ether wind to be (u + v) where they both complement each other..

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how they ended up with a '4uv' term..

Physics news on Phys.org
Would appreciate any help..

unscientific said:
In this problem i take the maximum relative velocity of ether wind to be (u + v) where they both complement each other..
Good. What would the minimum relative velocity be during the day? δ is the change in Δt(c/λ) in going from maximum to minimum relative velocity.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Good. What would the minimum relative velocity be during the day? δ is the change in Δt(c/λ) in going from maximum to minimum relative velocity.

I got very close to the answer, just that my term had a '2uv' instead of a '4uv'..

Did you calculate Δt for both the maximum and minimum velocity relative to the ether and then take the difference between these two Δt's? Also note the initial factor of 2 in the expression for Δt.

TSny said:
Did you calculate Δt for both the maximum and minimum velocity relative to the ether and then take the difference between these two Δt's? Also note the initial factor of 2 in the expression for Δt.

Yes, but there is a factor of (1/2) beside the square...

Ah, I see my mistake now..

What is the Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment?

The Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment was a series of experiments conducted in the late 19th and early 20th century to test the theory of the luminiferous ether, a hypothetical substance that was thought to be responsible for the propagation of light. The experiment aimed to measure the effect of the Earth's motion on the speed of light.

Who were the scientists involved in the Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment?

The Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment was named after the two scientists who conducted the experiment, Albert A. Michelson and Edward W. Morley. However, the idea for the experiment was originally proposed by physicist George F. FitzGerald.

What were the results of the Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment?

The Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment did not detect any significant difference in the speed of light in different directions, thus refuting the concept of the luminiferous ether. This result was later confirmed by the famous Michelson-Morley Experiment, which became a cornerstone in the development of Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

How was the Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment conducted?

The experiment involved splitting a beam of light into two perpendicular beams, which were then recombined to produce an interference pattern. The setup was rotated at different angles to see if the interference pattern would change, indicating a difference in the speed of light. The experiment was repeated multiple times with different materials and under different conditions to ensure accuracy.

What impact did the Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment have on science?

The Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment, along with the Michelson-Morley Experiment, revolutionized the field of physics by disproving the widely accepted theory of the luminiferous ether and paving the way for Einstein's theory of relativity. It also sparked further research and experiments that led to a better understanding of the nature of light and the principles of physics.