Are there any habitable binary star systems in the Kepler catalog?

• Thread starter Basilisk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kepler
In summary, the individual is looking for a binary star system where the secondary star has a fixed orbit around the primary star, with enough space for a habitable zone around the primary star. They prefer a combination of G and K class stars and the system to be close to the Sol system. However, they have found that binary star systems with one star orbiting another are rare. They are now looking for a triple star system with a habitable zone around the central binary pair, with a third heavier, larger, and brighter star orbiting around them. Two potential systems that fit these criteria are HD 188753 and 16 Cygni.
Basilisk
Hi, this is my first post, and it is sort of a complicated question (I think. Perhaps it is easy and I don't know how to solve it).

In the Kepler catalog, are there any binary star systems, where the secondary star orbits the central star that have something close to the following conditions?.

- Can't be like Alpha Centauri where A and B are orbiting around a mass center. I need the secondary star to have a fixed orbit around the primary star (doesn't have to be circular, can be elliptical, the lower the eccentricity the better, though)
- Enough orbital space between the central star and the secondary star orbits to have a habitable zone around the primary star.
- Stars are G and K classes combination (like Alpha Centauri), so there is no photon-cannon around to make carbon based life impossible (no O stars in the vicinity).
- The closest to our Sol system, the better.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also, if there is any good Kepler resource that you guys can point me to, like an online database or such where I can get this information by myself, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my newbism.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Let me update this. I found that binary stars systems with one star orbiting another are very rare, if not impossible.
So, let me change my question to another kind of star system. I need a triple star system with a habitable zone around the central binary pair, with a third heavier, larger and brighter star orbiting around the central binary pair. Basically, like this:

http://i.minus.com/irobKjqCEbsNE.jpg

Thanks again for any tips on the sun's closest stellar system with that setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they seem interesting. The only thing is that the third star is orbiting too close in one and too far in the other one. But I will look on them. Thanks a lot.

Thank you for your question. The Kepler catalog contains a wealth of information about exoplanets and their host stars, but it does not specifically list binary star systems. However, there have been studies that have identified binary star systems within the Kepler data.

One such study, published in the Astrophysical Journal in 2018, identified 115 binary star systems within the Kepler data. These systems were found by analyzing the light curves of the stars, which showed periodic dips in brightness caused by the orbiting companion star.

In terms of the conditions you specified, there are a few binary star systems in the Kepler catalog that may fit your criteria. For example, the binary star system Kepler-16, located 200 light years away from Earth, has a G and M type star combination and a habitable zone around its primary star. However, the secondary star in this system does orbit around a mass center, so it may not meet your specific requirement.

Another potential candidate is the binary star system Kepler-47, located 3,340 light years away from Earth. This system has a G and M type star combination and a habitable zone around its primary star. The secondary star in this system has a fixed orbit around the primary star, with an orbital period of 7.45 days. However, the eccentricity of this orbit is quite high (0.023), which may not meet your preferred criteria.

In terms of resources, the NASA Exoplanet Archive is a great place to start. It contains data from the Kepler mission, as well as other exoplanet missions, and has tools that allow you to search for specific criteria, such as star type and orbital period. I would also recommend checking out the Kepler mission website, which has a wealth of information and resources related to the mission and its data.

I hope this answer helps to address your question. Keep in mind that our understanding of exoplanets and binary star systems is constantly evolving, so there may be other systems in the Kepler catalog that meet your criteria. Happy exploring!

1. What is the Kepler mission?

The Kepler mission was a space telescope launched by NASA in 2009 to search for exoplanets, or planets outside of our solar system, by monitoring the brightness of stars. It has identified thousands of exoplanets and has revolutionized our understanding of the diversity and prevalence of planets in our galaxy.

2. How does the Kepler telescope detect exoplanets?

The Kepler telescope uses the transit method, which involves measuring the slight dimming of a star's brightness as a planet passes in front of it. This dimming is caused by the planet blocking a small portion of the star's light as it orbits. By measuring these periodic dips in brightness, scientists can determine the size, orbit, and other characteristics of the exoplanet.

3. How many exoplanets has Kepler discovered?

As of 2021, the Kepler mission has discovered over 4,000 confirmed exoplanets and over 2,000 more potential exoplanets. These exoplanets range in size from smaller than Earth to larger than Jupiter and have a wide variety of characteristics.

4. What is the significance of the Kepler mission?

The Kepler mission has significantly advanced our understanding of exoplanets and their diversity, as well as the potential for other habitable worlds beyond our own solar system. It has also provided valuable data for studies on planet formation and the prevalence of potentially habitable environments in our galaxy.

5. Is the Kepler mission still active?

The Kepler mission officially ended in 2018 after the depletion of its fuel supply. However, its successor, the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), launched in 2018 and continues to search for exoplanets using a similar method. Additionally, data from the Kepler mission is still being analyzed and used by scientists for ongoing research.