Kepler´s 2nd law -- Do any two planets sweep out equal area in equal time?

LuisBabboni
TL;DR Summary
Any planet sweeps equal area in equal time?
I mean. For example, Earth in one month sweep the same area* than Jupiter in one month?

*The line joining the Earth with the Sun than the line joining Jupiter with the Sun.

I think yes, but is not what 2nd law says. I think in the fact that the aceleration just depends on the distance to the Sun.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LuisBabboni said:
TL;DR Summary: Any planet sweeps equal area in equal time?

I mean. For example, Earth in one month seep the same area* than Jupiter in one month?

*The line joining the Earth with the Sun than the line joining Jupiter with the Sun.

I think yes, but is not what 2nd law says. I think in the fact that the aceleration just depends on the distance to the Sun.

Thanks!
Each planet sweeps out the same area every month. But not the same as every other planet!

Likes vanhees71 and LuisBabboni
OK. I understand now why.
At the same distance, the aceleration is the same, but not necesary the velocity, so the orbits are not the same. And being different the velocities, the sweeped areas are not the same!

Thanks!

LuisBabboni said:
OK. I understand now why.
At the same distance, the aceleration is the same, but not necesary the velocity, so the orbits are not the same. And being different the velocities, the sweeped areas are not the same!

Thanks!
Kepler's second law is really conservation of angular momentum. The angular momentum of each planet is conserved (which means it is constant over time). But, each planet has a different angular momentum. And, geometrically, angular momentum is proportional to the rate at which the planet sweeps out the area of its circular or elliptical orbit. See, for example:

http://burro.case.edu/Academics/Astr221/Gravity/kep2rev.htm

Likes LuisBabboni
PeroK said:
But, each planet has a different angular momentum. And, geometrically, angular momentum is proportional to the rate at which the planet sweeps out the area of its circular or elliptical orbit.
It is worth it to point out that you could have different angular momentum and still sweep different areas per time - if the masses are different - so the important thing is not that the angular momentum differs. The important thing is that the angular momentum per mass differs.

I do not understand why the mass is important.
I think that if any planet, no matter its mass, is at any point at any velocity, the orbit is just defined. I´m wrong?

In what you linked, the result have L/m; L/m made m disapear. Im right?

Likes PeroK
LuisBabboni said:
In what you linked, the result have L/m; L/m made m disapear. Im right?
Yes. The orbit and area are independent of the mass of the planet. So, angular momentum per unit mass (##L/m##) is the important quantity.

LuisBabboni said:
I do not understand why the mass is important.
I think that if any planet, no matter its mass, is at any point at any velocity, the orbit is just defined. I´m wrong?
It is not, that was my point. (As long as the primary has significantly larger mass)

PeroK said:
Kepler's second law is really conservation of angular momentum. The angular momentum of each planet is conserved (which means it is constant over time). But, each planet has a different angular momentum. And, geometrically, angular momentum is proportional to the rate at which the planet sweeps out the area of its circular or elliptical orbit. See, for example:

http://burro.case.edu/Academics/Astr221/Gravity/kep2rev.htm
Mathematically speaking, each orbit can be modelled in polar coordinates with sun in the center. So r, distance from the Sun is ##f(\theta)##. So
$$\frac{da}{dt}=k$$
$$\frac{da}{dt}=\int^{\theta+\frac{d\theta}{dt}}_{\theta}\int^{r=f(\theta)}_{0} r dr d\theta =k$$

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Trollfaz said:
$$\frac{da}{dt}=\int^{\theta+\frac{d\theta}{dt}}_{\theta}\int^{r=f(\theta)}_{0} r dr d\theta =k$$
There is (at least) one dimensional inconsistency in this expression.

Likes berkeman
Trollfaz said:
Mathematically speaking, each orbit can be modelled in polar coordinates with sun in the center. So r, distance from the Sun is ##f(\theta)##. So
$$\frac{da}{dt}=k$$
The area swept out by a line of length ##r## moving through a small angle ##d\theta## is ##da=\frac 12 r^2d\theta##. Using the chain rule to write ##d\theta=\frac{d\theta}{dt}dt## we can write ##da=\frac 12 r^2\frac{d\theta}{dt}dt##, and obviously the angle swept out in a finite time is the integral of that quantity with appropriate limits. If the area swept out is to be a constant but ##r## may vary as a function of time then we must require that ##r^2\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\mathrm{const}##, which is just the law of conservation of angular momentum if the constant is ##L/m##.

Likes Astronuc and vanhees71

1. Is Kepler's 2nd law valid for all planets?

Yes, Kepler's 2nd law applies to all planets in the solar system and beyond. It states that any two planets will sweep out equal areas in equal times as they orbit around the sun.

2. Why is it important for planets to sweep out equal areas in equal time?

This law is important because it helps us understand the speed at which planets move in their orbits. It also provides insights into the gravitational forces at play and the overall dynamics of the solar system.

3. How does Kepler's 2nd law relate to the conservation of angular momentum?

Kepler's 2nd law is closely related to the conservation of angular momentum. As a planet moves closer to the sun in its orbit, it speeds up to maintain the balance between the area it sweeps out and its distance from the sun.

4. Can Kepler's 2nd law be applied to other celestial bodies besides planets?

Yes, Kepler's 2nd law can be applied to other celestial bodies that orbit around a central mass, such as moons orbiting planets or artificial satellites orbiting Earth. The law holds true as long as the gravitational forces at play follow the same principles.

5. How was Kepler able to discover his 2nd law without modern technology?

Kepler was able to derive his 2nd law through meticulous observations of the motion of planets in the night sky. By recording the positions of planets over time and analyzing the patterns, he was able to formulate his laws of planetary motion without the aid of modern technology.