Can the Kernel of a Ring Homomorphism Equal 12Z or 13Z?

• MHB
  • Thread starter AkilMAI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kernel
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the kernel of a homomorphism of rings can be equal to 12Z or 13Z. It is proven through a proof by contradiction that this is not possible, as it would lead to contradictions with the definition of a ring homomorphism and integral domains. Therefore, the kernel of the homomorphism must be {0}.
AkilMAI
Let f : Z ->C be a homomorphism of rings. Can the kernel of f be equal to 12Z or 13Z?
Ok,the way I'm thinking about it is using a proof by contradiction:asuming ker f=12Z...then by the First Isomorphism Theorem for rings Z/ker f ~im f where I am f is by definition a subring of C.But since I am f=12Z is not an integral domain and every subring in C is an integral domain the I am f will not be a subring oc C which is a contradiction.
The same thing with 13Z,is not equal with the kernel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Kernerl and homomorphism

think about what happens to f(1).

if f(12) = 0, then f(12) = f(1 + 1 +...+ 1) = f(1) + f(1) +...+ f(1) = 12f(1) = 0.

since C is an integral domain, and 12 ≠ 0, f(1) = 0. but f(1) = 1, since f is a ring homomorphism.

ok either ker f=12Z or ker f= {0}
f(n)=0>n*f(1)=0 but f(1)=1since f is a ring homomorphism.So ker f={0} or

Z/ker f is an integral domain since it is a subring of C =>ker f/=12Z. or ker f=/13
I'm I doing this wrong?

f is ring homomorphism which means f(1) =1 must be
but if 12Z is the kernel this will drive us to f(1) =0 which contradict with the ring homomorphism
so 12Z,13Z can't be the kernel, ker(f) = {0}

Thank you for the confirmation

1. What is a kernel in mathematics?

A kernel in mathematics refers to the set of elements that map to the identity element of a group or function. It can also be thought of as the set of inputs that produce an output of zero.

2. How is a kernel related to a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a group, meaning that the operation performed on the inputs is also performed on the outputs. The kernel of a homomorphism is the set of elements that map to the identity element of the output group.

3. What is the significance of the kernel in algebra?

The kernel plays an important role in algebra because it helps to determine the structure and properties of a group or function. It can also be used to identify the elements that are invariant under a particular operation.

4. Can a homomorphism have multiple kernels?

No, a homomorphism can only have one kernel. This is because the kernel is defined as the set of elements that map to the identity element of the output group, and there can only be one identity element in a group.

5. How is the kernel used in practical applications?

The concept of a kernel is used in various fields, including machine learning, signal processing, and cryptography. In machine learning, the kernel function is used to map data into a higher-dimensional space, making it easier to classify and analyze. In signal processing, the kernel is used in the kernel smoothing technique to reduce noise in a signal. In cryptography, the kernel is used in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm to securely share secret keys.