Exploring Kernels of Robotic Solving Methods

• Thread starter DanielThrice
  • Start date
In summary, kernels are the essential components of robotic solving methods that are responsible for solving specific problems. They improve the efficiency, speed, and accuracy of these methods. However, kernels are not universal and need to be tailored to each individual solving method. They can also be modified or customized to suit specific applications. Examples of kernels in robotic solving methods include path planning, obstacle avoidance, and grasping. These kernels are crucial for tasks such as autonomous navigation, manipulation, and object recognition.
DanielThrice
I'm working on this to try and find out more on kernels. I've written out basically what the robotic solving methods are for them but I simply don't have answers, help?

Let G denote the set G = {f : R → R | f is infinitely differentiable at every point x ∈ R}. (R as in the reals)
(a) Prove that G is a group under addition. Is G a group under multiplication? Why or why not?
(b) Consider the function ϕ : G → G defined by ϕ(f) = f′
Prove that ϕ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ϕ?
(c) Consider the function ψ : G → G defined by ψ(f) = f′′ − f. Prove that ψ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ψ?

My work:

For (a) we need to prove that G satisfies all the group axioms under addition. Let f, g, h be infinitely differentiable at every point x in R

Closure : f + g is infinitely differentiable at every point x in R
Associativity : (f + g) + h = f + (g + h)
Identity : Find a function e in G such that for all functions f in G such that f + e = e + f = f
Inverse : For all f in G find an inverse ~f in G such that f + ~f = e

Is G a group under multiplication?

For (b) and (c)

The kernel of a homomophism are all elements of the domain group that map to the zero element, e, of the codomain.

What is the zero element of the codomain? This is e I found for G in the group axioms. In this problem e is the zero function zero(x) = 0?

So for (b), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does phi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f'(x) = 0 for all x in R?

for (c), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does psi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f''(x) - f(x) = 0 for all x in R?

Physics news on Phys.org
DanielThrice said:
I'm working on this to try and find out more on kernels. I've written out basically what the robotic solving methods are for them but I simply don't have answers, help?

Let G denote the set G = {f : R → R | f is infinitely differentiable at every point x ∈ R}. (R as in the reals)
(a) Prove that G is a group under addition. Is G a group under multiplication? Why or why not?
(b) Consider the function ϕ : G → G defined by ϕ(f) = f′
Prove that ϕ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ϕ?
(c) Consider the function ψ : G → G defined by ψ(f) = f′′ − f. Prove that ψ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ψ?

My work:

For (a) we need to prove that G satisfies all the group axioms under addition. Let f, g, h be infinitely differentiable at every point x in R

Closure : f + g is infinitely differentiable at every point x in R
Associativity : (f + g) + h = f + (g + h)
Identity : Find a function e in G such that for all functions f in G such that f + e = e + f = f
Inverse : For all f in G find an inverse ~f in G such that f + ~f = e

Is G a group under multiplication?
No, since we may have zeros ##z## of a function ##f##, which cannot be inverted ##1 \neq g(z)\cdot f(z)## regardless how we define ##g##.
For (b) and (c)

The kernel of a homomophism are all elements of the domain group that map to the zero element, e, of the codomain.

What is the zero element of the codomain? This is e I found for G in the group axioms. In this problem e is the zero function zero(x) = 0?

So for (b), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does phi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f'(x) = 0 for all x in R?
Yes. And ##phi(f)=f'=0## means that ##f## is a constant function: ##f(x)=c \in \mathbb{R}## for all ##x\in \mathbb{R}\,.##
for (c), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does psi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f''(x) - f(x) = 0 for all x in R?
Yes. And ##f''(x)=f(x)## is true for all functions ##f(x)= \alpha e^x -\beta e^{-x}##.

Likes HallsofIvy

1. What are kernels in robotic solving methods?

Kernels refer to the fundamental or essential parts of a robotic solving method. They are the building blocks that make up the algorithm and are responsible for solving specific problems.

2. How do kernels improve robotic solving methods?

Kernels are designed to be efficient and optimized for solving a particular problem. By using kernels, robotic solving methods can be more precise, faster, and have a lower error rate.

3. Are kernels universal for all robotic solving methods?

No, kernels are specific to each individual robotic solving method. Different problems require different kernels to solve them effectively.

4. Can kernels be modified or customized for specific applications?

Yes, kernels can be modified or customized to suit the requirements of a particular application. This allows for more flexibility and adaptability in robotic solving methods.

5. What are some examples of kernels in robotic solving methods?

Examples of kernels in robotic solving methods include path planning, obstacle avoidance, and grasping. These kernels are essential for tasks such as autonomous navigation, manipulation, and object recognition.