Keyboard Locked? How to Unlock Without Restarting

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, when a message pops up asking if you want to turn on filter keys, if you do not respond with "No", the keyboard will assume you want to turn on the feature and lock the keyboard.
mathman
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
During typing (such as this) the keyboard locks. How to unlock?
While I am typing something fairly lengthy, occasionally a message pops up asking if I want to go into some mode, where I don't type. When I see it, my answer is always no However on occasion I am busy typing without looking at the screen. If this message pops up and I don't check no, it assumes a yes answer and locks the keyboard. How can I get the keyboard back? Whenever it happens, the only recourse I know about is do a restart, which is a nuisance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Which OS? Which mode does the popup mention?
In addition to the above, @mathman, what's the computer brand, and what application are you using when this happens?

While this may not be the issue, does your keyboard have a built in trackpoint device or a touchpad on the side?

In the past, I've had odd issues with the placement of those features. Touching either one will magically move the editing cursor to some other spot on the screen and in effect messing up what you were typing.

In particular, I had a Lenovo laptop with the trackpoint at the nexus of keys T,Y,G,H and when I'd type a G my finger would lightly touch the trackpoint (like pressing a button on a mouse) and the cursor would move to the mouse pointer on screen.

In you case, could there be some connection to corners on your monitor. Macos has feature of hot corners where sliding the mouse to one of the four corners of your monitor will lock the screen or do some other action.

For windows there's a key combo: window key + L key to lock the keyboard

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/ways-to-lock-a-pc-keyboard

I have had cases where finger fumbles made me do things like press CTRL several times in a row, or push a key then backspace repeated several times in a row. A popup appeared that asked if I want to use the virtual keyboard for disabled people.

It would be interesting to see the algorithm they use to examine keystrokes to determine when to show that popup unsolicited. It is mildly insulting to see it.

jedishrfu said:
In the past, I've had odd issues with the placement of those features. Touching either one will magically move the editing cursor to some other spot on the screen and in effect messing up what you were typing.
That's why when I work with an external mouse, I keep the touch pad off in my laptop.

Likes Evo, hmmm27 and jedishrfu
The thing was I didn’t even know the trackpoint acted as a button since the laptop had buttons for that purpose. I thought it was some glitch in the keyboard until I typed something remembered I hit the track point slightly and realized where the g letter went on the screen. Bingo, I found the specs for the track point and the button feature it had. I turned it off and no more problem,

Likes Wrichik Basu
The message: Do you want to turn on filter keys?

mathman said:
The message: Do you want to turn on filter keys?
Filter keys is a feature which tells the keyboard to ignore repeated keystrokes. People with hand tremors might hit the same key again and again; this is where Filter Keys help. By default, Windows will show you an option to switch on Filter Keys if you keep the Shift button pressed for 8s.

To turn off the message, go to Settings --> Ease of Access --> Keyboard. Scroll down to find the filter keys options.

1577690310499.png

By default, Filter Keys should be off. To turn off the message, toggle the highlighted checkbox.

Another similar message might pop up telling you about Sticky Keys:

1577690712453.png

This is again an accessibility feature which triggers when you press Shift key 5 times.

The option to turn off that message is available in the same accessibility window as above:

1577690817630.png

What confuses me is if I don't say no the keyboard locks.

mathman said:
What confuses me is if I don't say no the keyboard locks.
"Don't say no" - meaning you are clicking "yes"?
Understood. The "Yes" option is highlighted by default, so if you press the spacebar or the enter key, the feature switches on and the keyboard locks. Once you turn off the shortcut(s) to the feature(s), as I explained above, that option will no longer come.

Last edited:

1. Why is my keyboard locked?

There could be several reasons why your keyboard is locked. It could be due to a software issue, a hardware issue, or accidentally pressing a key combination that locks the keyboard.

2. How do I know if my keyboard is locked?

If your keyboard is locked, you will not be able to type anything on the screen. You may also see a notification or an indicator light on your keyboard indicating that it is locked.

3. How can I unlock my keyboard without restarting my computer?

Depending on the cause of the lock, there are a few methods you can try to unlock your keyboard without restarting your computer. You can try pressing the "Num Lock" or "Caps Lock" key to see if that unlocks it. You can also try pressing the "Windows" key + "R" to open the Run dialog box and then type "osk" to open the on-screen keyboard. If these methods do not work, you may need to troubleshoot the issue further.

4. What should I do if my keyboard is still locked after trying these methods?

If your keyboard is still locked after trying the methods mentioned above, you may need to restart your computer. If the issue persists, it could be a hardware issue and you may need to get your keyboard repaired or replaced.

5. How can I prevent my keyboard from getting locked in the future?

To prevent your keyboard from getting locked, make sure you do not accidentally press any key combinations that may lock the keyboard. You can also try updating your keyboard drivers and keeping your computer's software up to date to prevent any software-related issues that may cause the keyboard to lock.