Killing Email Zombie Virus: Purging 4000+ Emails

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the conversation is discussing a virus that infected a desktop due to a fault in Norton, causing it to not update its virus definitions. The virus turned the system into a zombie, sending out spam and causing ISPs to identify the IP as a source of spam. Norton was able to find and remove the virus, but there are still 4000+ emails waiting to be sent. The conversation also mentions suggestions for preventing reinfection and installing a firewall.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
It looks like my desktop was infected with a virus due to a fault in Norton* that caused it to not update its virus definitions.

The virus turned the system into a zombie, sending out spam. Now many ISPs are identifying my IP as a source of spam and are refusing all email from me.

Norton found and purged a virus called backdoor.formador, so I think all that is behind me now, but I still have 4000+ emails that are trying to get sent from somewhere. (Norton continues to pop up a warning message for every one of these 4000+ emails, that's how I know they're still there).

See attached screengrab. The taskbar is showing each email that is waiting to be processed. So far there are only 8 or 10, but it will run through 4000+ of them.

They are not in Outlook; I don't know where these 4000 emails are sitting. Somewhere invisible. How can I purge these emails?

Or am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing?

* Yeah yeah ... "Norton? Pah. I don't use that piece of junk". Got it out of your system? OK, now move on.

Attachments

• NAVscan.gif
    NAVscan.gif
    109.4 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Dave,

What OS are you using (XP, 2000, ...)? I did a quick Google search and one thing that I noticed from the technical details on one was that the computer could be reinfected if you don't disable the System Restore feature before removal http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-121018-1953-99&tabid=3".

I would also double-check that the registry entry noted in the removal instructions has actually been removed.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"[TROJAN FILE NAME]" = "%System%\[TROJAN FILE NAME].exe"

Also, if you don't have a firewall on your computer, you should install one.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the frustration and concern that comes with dealing with computer viruses. It is important to always keep your virus definitions updated and to use reliable antivirus software to prevent and remove any potential threats.

In this case, it seems like your system was infected with a virus that turned it into a zombie, sending out spam emails and causing your IP to be flagged as a source of spam. I am glad to hear that Norton was able to detect and remove the virus, but it seems like there are still residual effects in the form of 4000+ emails waiting to be sent out.

It is possible that these emails are still sitting in your outbox or in a separate folder within your email program. I would suggest checking all folders and deleting any suspicious emails. If you are unable to locate these emails within your email program, it is possible that they are sitting in a hidden folder or that they were not completely removed by Norton. In this case, I would recommend running a full system scan with Norton or another reputable antivirus program to ensure that all traces of the virus are removed.

It is also important to contact your ISP and inform them of the situation. They may be able to provide further assistance in resolving the issue and clearing your IP from being flagged as a source of spam.

In the future, it is important to regularly back up your important files and to practice safe internet habits to prevent similar incidents from occurring. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consider using a different antivirus program that has a strong track record in detecting and removing viruses.

I hope this helps in resolving your issue and preventing any future virus infections. Stay vigilant and stay safe online.

1. How does the "Killing Email Zombie Virus" work?

The "Killing Email Zombie Virus" is a specialized program that scans through your email inbox and identifies any emails that are considered "zombies." These are emails that have been sitting in your inbox for an extended period of time and are no longer relevant or necessary. The program then gives you the option to delete these emails, freeing up space and improving your email organization.

2. Will the "Killing Email Zombie Virus" delete important emails?

No, the program is designed to only target emails that are no longer useful or relevant. It will not delete any important emails that you may need for reference or future use. However, it is always recommended to double-check the emails that the program has flagged before permanently deleting them.

3. Can I customize the "Killing Email Zombie Virus" to only target certain emails?

Yes, the program allows for customization based on specific criteria such as date, sender, or subject. This gives you more control over which emails are considered "zombies" and can be deleted.

4. How often should I use the "Killing Email Zombie Virus"?

This will depend on your personal email usage and inbox organization. If you tend to accumulate a large number of emails quickly, it may be beneficial to use the program on a weekly or monthly basis. However, if you regularly delete unnecessary emails, then it may only be necessary to use the program every few months.

5. Will the "Killing Email Zombie Virus" work on all email platforms?

The program is compatible with most email platforms, including Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook. However, it may not work for some specialized email servers. It is always recommended to check the program's compatibility before use.