How Do You Compute Killing Vectors for a Given Metric?

In summary: X^1 & \partial_1 X^1\end{bmatrix}\\&= \begin{bmatrix}g_{ad}\partial_b X^d &g_{bd}\partial_a X^d\\&= \begin{bmatrix}2 & 0\\0 & y^2\end{bmatrix}.\end{align*}
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I want to find all the killing vectors of the metric ##x²dx² + xdy²##. We could guess somethings by intuition and check it, but i decided to use the equation itself. Unfortunatelly, i realized that i am not sure how to manipulate the equation

$$L_{\chi}g_{ab} = g_{ad}\partial_{b} X^{d}+g_{bd}\partial_{a} X^{d}+ X^{e}\partial_{e} g_{ab} =^{?} 0$$

When i wrote this equation, i was not sure how the index should work here, so i guessed that we need to check it for all possible combinations of ab. ##(a,b) = [(0,0),(0,1),(1,0),(1,1)]##$. So, seeing this way, we need to find ##\vec X = (X^{0},X^{1})##? THe answer is something in partial derivatives. How would i got that just with the equation? I would appreciate if you give a tip of how to really start the computations, because as you can see, i am stuck right at the start.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Killing equation for a metric $g_{ab}$ is given by$$L_{\chi}g_{ab} = g_{ad}\partial_{b} X^{d}+g_{bd}\partial_{a} X^{d}+ X^{e}\partial_{e} g_{ab} = 0.$$In this case, you are trying to find the Killing vectors $\vec{X}=(X^0,X^1)$ for the metric $$g_{ab}=\begin{bmatrix}x^2 & 0 \\ 0 & xy^2\end{bmatrix}.$$ To solve for $\vec{X}$, begin by computing the partial derivatives of the metric components with respect to each coordinate:$$\partial_0 g_{00} = \partial_0 (x^2) = 2x,$$$$\partial_1 g_{00} = \partial_1 (x^2) = 0,$$$$\partial_0 g_{01} = \partial_0 (0)=0,$$$$\partial_1 g_{01} = \partial_1 (0) = 0,$$$$\partial_0 g_{11} = \partial_0 (xy^2) = y^2,$$$$\partial_1 g_{11} = \partial_1 (xy^2) = 2xy.$$Now, substitute these partial derivatives into the Killing equation and solve for $\vec{X}$:\begin{align*}L_\chi g_{ab} &= g_{ad}\partial_b X^d + g_{bd}\partial_a X^d + X^e \partial_e g_{ab} \\&= \begin{bmatrix}x^2 & 0 \\ 0 & xy^2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\partial_0 X^0 & \partial_1 X^0 \\ \partial_0 X^1 & \partial_1 X^1\end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix}x^2 & 0 \\ 0 & xy^2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\partial_0 X^0 & \partial_1 X^0 \\ \partial

1. What are Killing vectors and metric?

Killing vectors are vector fields that preserve the metric structure of a manifold. They represent infinitesimal isometries, which are transformations that leave the metric unchanged. The metric, on the other hand, is a mathematical concept that describes the distance between points on a manifold.

2. How are Killing vectors and metric related?

Killing vectors and metric are closely related because Killing vectors are used to generate isometries, which in turn preserve the metric. In other words, the existence of Killing vectors implies the existence of a metric, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of Killing vectors and metric in physics?

Killing vectors and metric play a crucial role in physics, particularly in the theory of relativity. They are used to describe the symmetries of spacetime and are essential in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How are Killing vectors and metric used in general relativity?

In general relativity, Killing vectors and metric are used to define the concept of isometry, which is a fundamental principle in the theory. Isometries are transformations that preserve the geometric structure of spacetime, and they are described by Killing vectors. The metric, on the other hand, is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime and to solve the equations of motion for particles and fields.

5. Can Killing vectors and metric be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, Killing vectors and metric have applications in various fields of science, including differential geometry, mathematical physics, and engineering. They are also used in the study of black holes, cosmology, and fluid dynamics, among others.