Kinectic energy of a system of 2 objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the kinetic energy of a system composed of two objects moving at different speeds. It is mentioned that one method is to calculate the kinetic energy of each object individually and sum them, while another method is to look at the system from the perspective of one of the objects and only consider the other object's kinetic energy. It is also noted that while total momentum is conserved, kinetic energy is not always conserved in a system and different reference frames can show different amounts of kinetic energy. However, all reference frames will agree that kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision. The conversation also touches on the calculation of the velocity of the center of mass using the formula R=1/M *
daivinhtran
is it possible to find kinetic energy of a system of 2 objects when they're both moving at 2 different constant speeds?

because In my textbook, they all assume that one stays at rest and another is moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either method works.

You could either calculate the kinetic energy of each object individually then sum to get the total kinetic energy (it wouldn't matter that the two objects are moving at different speeds because you are calculating them separately). You could also look at the situation from the reference frame of one of the objects, in which case only the other object is moving, and then the kinetic energy of that other object is the total kinetic energy of the system.

Even though total momentum is conserved, kinetic energy by itself is not conserved. This means that different reference frames might show different amounts of kinetic energy in a system.

However all reference frames will agree that kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision.

It depends on what energy you actually want to measure. If you want to measure the kinetic energy of one object with respect to the other, then you can consider one of them stationary and use their relative velocity to find the kinetic energy. If on the other hand you want to find the kinetic energy of the objects with respect to some fixed point ,just add their kinetic energy with respect to that point. In general the two values you obtain are different.

Vorde said:
Either method works.

You could either calculate the kinetic energy of each object individually then sum to get the total kinetic energy (it wouldn't matter that the two objects are moving at different speeds because you are calculating them separately). You could also look at the situation from the reference frame of one of the objects, in which case only the other object is moving, and then the kinetic energy of that other object is the total kinetic energy of the system.

Even though total momentum is conserved, kinetic energy by itself is not conserved. This means that different reference frames might show different amounts of kinetic energy in a system.

However all reference frames will agree that kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision.

But how you calculate the velocity of the center of mass?

THe formula of K of a system is : Ksys = (K of COM) +K(the object relative to the COM)

daivinhtran said:
But how you calculate the velocity of the center of mass?

THe formula of K of a system is : Ksys = (K of COM) +K(the object relative to the COM)

[itex]R=\frac{1}{M}\sum_i m_i r_i[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{M}\sum_i m_i r_i=\frac{1}{M}\sum_i m_i \frac{dr_i}{dt}=\frac{1}{M}\sum_i p_i[/itex]

bp_psy said:
[itex]R=\frac{1}{M}\sum_i m_i r_i[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{M}\sum_i m_i r_i=\frac{1}{M}\sum_i m_i \frac{dr_i}{dt}=\frac{1}{M}\sum_i p_i[/itex]

THANKS BUDDYYYYY :d :d

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of an object in motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a system of 2 objects differ from that of a single object?

The kinetic energy of a system of 2 objects is the sum of the individual kinetic energies of each object, while the kinetic energy of a single object is only based on its own mass and velocity.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as thermal energy, sound energy, or electrical energy depending on the circumstances.