Kinectics of particles. impact between 2 bodies 1 of which is stationary

In summary, the problem involves an inelastic collision of an engine and drum connected by a friction clutch. The moment of inertia and radius of gyration for both bodies are given. Using the equation for total moment before and after impact, along with the equation for radius of gyration, the final velocity for the combined system can be found.
bobmarly12345

Homework Statement

An engine is suddenly coupled to a rotating drum by a friction clutch. the moment of inertia of the engine is equivalent to a mass of 40kg acting with a radius of gyration of 111mm. the drum has a mass of 10kg and a radius of gyration of 100mm. the initial velocity of the engine before engagement is 12rev/s and the drum is initially at rest. find the velocity of engine and drum immediately after connection.

Homework Equations

total moment before impact = total moment after impact
(m1.u1) +(m2.u2) = (m1.v1)+(m2.v2)

The Attempt at a Solution

ive seen questions like this before without the gyration part in the question & i know that i'd just plug the weight into the equation along with the velocity for example
(40x12) +(10x0) = (40xV)+(10xv) and then just rearrange to find the end velocity. However the addition of the moment of inertia and radius gyration has thrown me. do i use the equation I=m.k² and use the answers for the engine and drum and replace the m1 and m2 with the I1 and I2 value id get from that equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Radius of gyration, rg is related to the mass and moment of inertia of a rotating body:

##r_g^2 = \frac{I}{M}##

yeah I've got that part but how does the moment of inertia from that equation help me with finding the impact of the engine and drum? do i replace the mass in the impact before and after with I=M.R² so it would be (I1.u1) +(I2.u2) = (I1.v1)+(I2.v2) or do i use a different formula all together? I understand the theory of why the gyration is given in the question but how do i apply all the values I've been given into finding the answer?

You're dealing with an inelastic collision of the angular variety. When the bodies come together their moments of inertia combine...

so from that then would it follow that (I1.u1) +(I2.u2) = (I1+I2).V2,,,,,, V2=(I1.u1) +(I2.u2)/(I1+I2). therefore, I1=40X0.111m²=0.49284 & 10x0.1m²=0.1 then v2=9.98rev/s ? Would you agree with that or am i going in the wrong direction :)

bobmarly12345 said:
so from that then would it follow that (I1.u1) +(I2.u2) = (I1+I2).V2,,,,,, V2=(I1.u1) +(I2.u2)/(I1+I2). therefore, I1=40X0.111m²=0.49284 & 10x0.1m²=0.1 then v2=9.98rev/s ? Would you agree with that or am i going in the wrong direction :)

Almost there... Remember that it's body 2, the motor, that's initially rotating.

oh of course yes! thank you for your help :)

1. What is the definition of "kinetics of particles"?

Kinetics of particles refers to the study of the motion of particles, including their speed, acceleration, and direction, under the influence of various forces.

2. How is the impact between two bodies with one stationary calculated?

The impact between two bodies, where one is stationary, can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. The initial and final velocities of the bodies, as well as their masses, are taken into account to determine the change in momentum and energy during the impact.

3. What factors affect the kinetics of particles in an impact?

The kinetics of particles in an impact can be affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the particles, the angle of impact, the type and surface properties of the bodies, and the presence of external forces such as friction or gravity.

4. How is the force of impact between two bodies with one stationary determined?

The force of impact between two bodies with one stationary can be determined by dividing the change in momentum of the moving body by the time of impact. This is known as the impulse-momentum theorem and is represented by the equation FΔt = mΔv.

5. Can the impact between two bodies be completely elastic?

Yes, the impact between two bodies can be completely elastic if there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This means that the bodies will rebound with the same relative velocities and directions as before the impact occurred.