1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Kinematic equation without time

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    I understand most of the kinematic equations, but there is just this one equation that omits time from the equation. I always end up with V02+2a(x - x0) = 2V0V + V2

The 2V0V part is what I don't understand how to get rid of. So if you please could you do the equation with steps , I would be very grateful. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

Science Advisor

What are the steps you took to get to that equation?
  4. Sep 28, 2016 #3
    t = (V - V0)/a

x - x0 = V0((V-V0)/a) + .5a((V - V0/a)2)

x - x0 = (V0V - V02)/a + (V2 + V02)/2a

2a(x - x0) = 2V0V -2V02 + V2 +V02

V02+2a(x - x0) = 2V0V + V2
  5. Sep 28, 2016 #4

Science Advisor

What do you get if you expand ##(V-V_0)^2##?

Edit: By the way, something seems to be wrong with the brackets in the last term of your second equation. I assumed that was just a typo, but if they look right to you then you need tk think about that too.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Sep 28, 2016 #5
    Oh I see what I did wrong. As you intimated, I did not expand (V - V0)2 correctly. Now I have -2V0V to cancel out.
  7. Sep 29, 2016 #6

Science Advisor

That's right. Algebraic slips can be hard to spot. I sometimes write each term on a separate line when I'm expanding brackets, which makes it easier for me to not get distracted when I'm doing it. Then when I'm collecting terms together I put a little tick above each one as I copy it on to the next line so I don't lose one or double one up by accident. You can also count terms. You know that ##(V-V_0)^2## should give you three terms when expanded - that would have caught this error because your expansion only had two.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted