Kinematics and Newtons 2nd law

In summary, the problem involves a baseball being thrown vertically upward with an initial speed of 20 meters/sec and starting from a height of 0 meters. The gravitational force acting on the baseball is directed downwards and can be calculated using Newton's second law. By integrating the second law, we can derive the equation for height as a function of time and solve for the maximum height of the ball. The calculus topics involved in this problem include initial valued integrals and the use of arbitrary constants to account for initial conditions.
phillyj

Homework Statement

A baseball of mass m is thrown vertically upward from a height r=0 with a speed of 20 meters/sec. The gravitational force on the baseball has a magnitude mg (m = mass, g=9.8 meters/sec2 is the acceleration due to gravity) and is directed downwards. Using Newton's second law, calculate the ball's height as a function of time and from that expression the maximum height of the ball.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum{F=ma}[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]mg=m[tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2}[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]g=[tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2}[/tex]

That's the least I could think of and I'm not really sure. How exactly would I find the height from the second law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since gravity is decreasing the ball's speed by 9.8 m/s every second and it starts with 20 m/s, how long does it take for the speed to reach 0?

Would that be 20/9.8=2.04 s?

I would like to know how to go about deriving the equation from the second law?

you can say that f / m = a and that a = 9.81, so f/m = 9.81
-9.81 = d^2x/dt^2
integrate both sides with respect to t
-9.81 * t + C(1) = dx/dt
integrate
-1/2 9.81 t^2 + c(1)t + c(2) = x(t)

It's an initial valued integral too so you can plug in the initial values to find the constants

I assume this is for a differential equations class since that approach is laborious and unused in most physics classes. Instead, people just use the results from the integration.

Last edited:
Yes, this is actually for quantum chemistry. Like a review/preview into the math we must know.

Its been a while since I did this so can you nudge me in the right direction? What are my initial values? I think that x(0), t is zero or am I thinking incorrectly.

Under what topic is calculus should I be reviewing for this sort of problem?

phillyj said:
Yes, this is actually for quantum chemistry. Like a review/preview into the math we must know.

Its been a while since I did this so can you nudge me in the right direction? What are my initial values? I think that x(0), t is zero or am I thinking incorrectly.

Under what topic is calculus should I be reviewing for this sort of problem?

c(1) is an arbitrary constant that must satisfy the initial conditions for a function of dx/dt(velocity!). At t = 0, we see that a * t = 0, so c(1) must account for the initial velocity alone. Thus, c(1) = v(initial) = 20 m/s

after further integration, we arrive at the function for x(t) (displacement) We see that at t = 0, 1/2 a t^2 + v(initial) t = 0, so c(2) must account for the initial position of the ball. In this problem, height begins at 0, so c(2) = 0.

your function for height x(t) becomes -1/2 9.81 t^2 + 20 t. The problem uses the variable r, so I'd switch it to r(t).

The negative sign denotes direction. I've assigned "toward earth" as negative and "toward sky" positive, so the initial upward velocity is positive and the constant acceleration is negative.

1. What is kinematics and how is it related to Newton's 2nd law?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, including how they move and what factors affect their movement. Newton's 2nd law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that kinematics is closely related to Newton's 2nd law as it helps us understand the factors that affect an object's acceleration.

2. How do we calculate acceleration using kinematics and Newton's 2nd law?

To calculate acceleration, we can use the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force acting on the object, and m is the mass of the object. This equation is derived from Newton's 2nd law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. Can kinematics and Newton's 2nd law be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, kinematics and Newton's 2nd law can be applied to both linear and rotational motion. In linear motion, the object moves in a straight line, and in rotational motion, the object rotates around a fixed point. Both types of motion can be described and analyzed using kinematics and Newton's 2nd law.

4. What is the role of inertia in Newton's 2nd law?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In Newton's 2nd law, inertia is reflected in the proportionality between acceleration and mass. The greater the mass of an object, the more inertia it has, and the more force is needed to change its state of motion.

5. How can we use kinematics and Newton's 2nd law to solve real-world problems?

Kinematics and Newton's 2nd law are essential tools for solving real-world problems involving motion. By understanding the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, we can predict and analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios. This can be applied in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to design and improve systems and technologies.