1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of a ball and track

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    Hello,

New here. I have designed a segment of a track that I am building that I need to pull some data out of. It is a high-to-low transition (down hill) that takes the form of cosine over the domain [0,pi]. Thea graph of the transition's profile is y=5.5cos(xpi/18)+5.5 It is 11 inches high and 18 inches long.

I want to find out its exit velocity (x=18) for a ~100g ball that starts form rest at the top. The graph of the formula I used above is position-vs-position. I know that velocity is the graph of position-vs-time's first derivative.

How do I get from the position-vs-position graph/formula to the position-vs-time graph/formula? I think I could do it if the slope was constant, but I'm not sure about the curve and I don't want to average the slope. Shouldn't it be the same graph, just compressed along the x-axis?

Thanks,
    Chopper

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

To a first approximation just use conservation of energy. You have PE = mgh and KE = 1/2 mv² so by setting them equal you get

mgh = 1/2 mv²
    v = sqrt(2gh)

4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    Though to get a more accurate approximation you should account for the rolling of the ball (assuming there is enough friction to prevent it from slipping):

[tex]mgh\ =\ \frac{1}{2} mv^2\ +\ \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

Where I is the moment of inertia for a sphere ([tex]\frac{2}{5}MR^2[/tex]) and [tex]\omega[/tex] is [tex]\frac{v^2}{R^2}[/tex].

Solve that entire equation for v and you should get a more accurate approximation.

5. Mar 3, 2008 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Note that w^2 is not v^2 / R^2 if the ball running on a pair of rails as opposed to rolling along a surface. w^2 = v^w / r^2, where r is the perpendicular component of distance from center of ball to the surface of the ball where it meets the supporting track.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    @everyone: Thank you for the input. This will be very helpful. I had considered Inertia and that the point of contact of the ball/track would have an impact, but this is very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?