Solving Kinematics: Swinging Girl Above Swimming Hole

• Thread starter Mesmer17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation is about finding the height of a young girl who lets go of a rope while swinging above a swimming hole. The girl's initial velocity and flight time are given, and the equation for finding the height is discussed. The correct equation is used to calculate the height, which is found to be 7.4 meters.
Mesmer17
Q.)On a hot summer day a young girl swings on a rope above the local swimming hole (Figure 4-20). When she let's go of the rope her initial velocity is 2.05 m/s at an angle of 35.0° above the horizontal. If she is in flight for 1.60 s, how high above the water was she when she let go of the rope?

Here is what I did to try and get the answer.. First I found Voy by using: 2.05(sin35) which is 1.17m, then I found Vy by using.. -g(t) which is -9.80 ( 1.60)=-15.68.. using these values I plugged them into the H equation which is: H=Vy^2-Voy^2/2Ay... and I got 12.5 for an answer which is wrong.. can anyone tell me where I went wrong.. it would be much appreciated.. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!!Your equation is not correct. The equation for the height is:H = Voy*t - 0.5*g*t^2Substituting the values you have, the equation becomes:H = 1.17*1.60 - 0.5*(-9.8)*(1.60)^2This gives a height of 7.4 meters.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. How can I solve the kinematics problem of a swinging girl above a swimming hole?

To solve this problem, you will need to use equations of motion and the laws of kinematics. You will also need to consider the initial conditions, such as the girl's starting position, initial velocity, and the acceleration due to gravity. By plugging in these values and using the correct equations, you can find the girl's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time during the swing.

3. What are the key equations used in solving this kinematics problem?

The key equations used in solving this problem are the equations of motion, including displacement (Δx = vf * t + 1/2 * a * t^2), velocity (vf = vi + a * t), and acceleration (a = g = 9.8 m/s^2), where vi is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. What factors can affect the motion of the swinging girl?

The motion of the swinging girl can be affected by several factors, including the initial conditions (such as the girl's starting position and velocity), the length of the swing, the angle of the swing, air resistance, and the strength and direction of the wind.

5. How can I check if my solution to the kinematics problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging the calculated values back into the original equations and seeing if they satisfy the equations. You can also use a graphing calculator or graphing software to plot the girl's position, velocity, and acceleration over time and compare it to your calculated values.