Kinetic energy from c.o.m frame

In summary, the kinetic energy of a system from a certain frame of reference is the sum of kinetic energy in the center of mass frame that moves translationally to the previous frame and the kinetic energy of the center of mass from that frame. However, if the frame is attached to the center of mass and rotates about a point in the previous frame, there is a more complex formula for calculating the kinetic energy. This can be derived by considering the velocities of particles in the rotating frame and defining effective kinetic energies. The final result involves equations with terms related to angular velocity and angular momentum.
pardesi
we know
kinetic energy of a system from a certain frame of refrence is the sum of kinetic energy in the c.m framee of refrence that moves translationally to the previous frame and the kinetic energy of c.m from that frame.

but what if the i choose the frame attached to the c.m such that it rotaes about a point in the previous frame is there a closed formulae for that

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to prove the first statement you made? (and which you btw. didn't say very clearly)

I'm not sure what kind of answer you are seeking, but at least precisely the same result doesn't work with rotating frames . You can verify this by trying to prove it, and you'll see that the calculations give something more complicated.

yes soory for the non clarity(was too bored to write in latex...)
well i tried doing the same way as first but ended up in a much complex formulae...is there any known result

I'm not sure about well known results, but it is not difficult to calculate something about this. If we, for simplicity, assume that the center of mass is not moving, then velocities of the particles in rotating frame are

[tex]
\dot{x}_k-\omega\times x_k
[/tex]

still written with the inertial frame vectors. Omega is the angular velocity of the rotating frame. If correct kinetic energies are

[tex]
E_k = \frac{1}{2}m_k |\dot{x}_k|^2
[/tex]

and if we define some kind of effective kinetic energies

[tex]
E_{k,eff} = \frac{1}{2}m_k |\dot{x}_k- \omega\times x_k|^2
[/tex]

then, assuming I calculated this correctly, we have

[tex]
E_{k,eff} = E_k + \frac{1}{2}m_k |\omega\times x_k|^2 - \omega\cdot L_k
[/tex]

where L is the angular momentum of the particle. Then

[tex]
E = \sum_{k=1}^N E_k = E_{eff} - \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^N m_k |\omega\times x_k|^2 + \omega\cdot L
[/tex]

I'm not sure. I was bored, and looking for something small to do. Check the result yourself if you want to know if it's correct.

What ever you were looking for, I believe that the result will involve equations that look something like that.

Last edited:

1. What is the center of mass frame?

The center of mass (c.o.m) frame is a reference frame in which the total momentum of a system is zero. In this frame, the center of mass of the system appears to be stationary.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated in the c.o.m frame?

In the center of mass frame, the kinetic energy is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2MV2, where M is the total mass of the system and V is the velocity of the center of mass.

3. Why is the c.o.m frame useful in studying kinetic energy?

The c.o.m frame allows for simplification of calculations and analysis of the system's motion. In this frame, the effects of external forces on the kinetic energy can be easily observed and studied.

4. Can the c.o.m frame be used for all systems?

No, the c.o.m frame can only be used for systems in which the total momentum is conserved. This means that there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. How is kinetic energy affected in the c.o.m frame in a collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy remains constant in the c.o.m frame. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, but the total kinetic energy is still conserved in the c.o.m frame.