1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of water vs ice

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1

TT0

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The average kinetic energy of water at 0 °C is __________ the average kinetic energy of ice at 0 °C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said that it is greater than because when ice melts, energy is added to break the potential energy (bonds). I also know that average kinetic energy is directly linked to temperature so if they are at the same temperature, the average kinetic energy should be the same. The thing that is confusing me is that when the latent heat of fusion is applied to the ice, it breaks the bonds so it releases the potential energy so shouldn't the kinetic energy of water be higher than ice?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Isn't that adding potential energy?

When a thermometer measures temperature, what is it actually responding to?

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3

TT0

It is responding to the kinetic energy, but when the latent heat of fusion is applied, doesn't it break the bonds so therefore the potential energy would decrease? I am pretty sure this is wrong but I don't understand why. For example I think water has a lot of potential energy in its bonds and this potential energy is lost when it turns into gas because the bonds are broken. The potential energy is transferred into something which I am not sure of. Please help, thanks!

5. Mar 20, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have the changes in PE backwards. To break a bond you have to inject energy, just as you have to supply energy to send a rocket up, overcoming the attraction of the earth. The PE increases.

6. Mar 21, 2016 #5

TT0

I see thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted