Kinetic friction and applied force

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kinetic coefficient of friction in situations where there is relative motion between surfaces of contact. It is important to note that there is also a static friction force present when there is no relative motion, and the net force on an object determines whether it moves or not. This concept can be compared to the photoelectric effect, where the given energy is equal to the work function and no electron is emitted.
diazdaiz
I think this question is not important and rarely noticed, but I'm still curious XD
kinetic coefficient of friction is used when the applied force of static friction coefficient is less than than the force that we give, or less than or equal to the force that we give?

sry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the case would be like the former more. When they are equal the net force is still 0 Newton. (right?)
This situation I think can be analogous to that in photoelectric effect. When the given energy is equal to the work function, there's no electron emitted.
Above is just my ideas.

Likes diazdaiz
The kinetic coefficient of friction is used when there is relative motion between the surfaces of contact.
If there is no relative motion between the surfaces of contact, then you don't use kinetic friction.

Likes Chestermiller and diazdaiz
+1

diazdaiz said:
I think this question is not important and rarely noticed

It is important and noticed.

kinetic coefficient of friction is used when the applied force of static friction coefficient is less than than the force that we give, or less than or equal to the force that we give?

IF static friction is less than the applied force AND that causes the object to slide THEN use the kinetic coefficient of friction.

Normally if the static friction is equal to the applied force the object won't move (it has to be greater for the object to accelerate).

Note that it is usually the net force on an object that determines if it moves. That is not always the same as the applied force.

diazdaiz said:
even use when net force = friction and v nonzero

hackhard said:
even use when net force = friction and v nonzero

It's important to keep in mind that there is kinetic (sliding) friction
when there is a nonzero RELATIVE-velocity (i.e. SLIDING) between the surfaces.

A box sits on rough top of an moving accelerating truck.
Even though the box has nonzero velocity,
if the box is not sliding on the surface of the truck, the friction force on the box in that situation is static friction (not kinetic friction).

robphy said:
A box sits on rough top of an moving accelerating truck.
Even though the box has nonzero velocity,
if the box is not sliding on the surface of the truck, the friction force on the box in that situation is static friction (not kinetic friction).
thanks

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the surfaces in contact, which create resistance to motion.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be put into motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force (force perpendicular to the surface), and the roughness of the surfaces. Additionally, the presence of lubricants can reduce kinetic friction.

4. How is applied force related to kinetic friction?

Applied force is the force that is exerted on an object to make it move. In the presence of kinetic friction, this applied force must be greater than the force of kinetic friction in order to overcome it and cause the object to move.

5. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a unitless value that represents the ratio between the force of kinetic friction and the normal force. It is specific to the surfaces in contact and can be used to calculate the force of kinetic friction in a given situation.