Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Kinetic friction and applied force

1. May 13, 2016 #1
    I think this question is not important and rarely noticed, but I'm still curious XD
    kinetic coefficient of friction is used when the applied force of static friction coefficient is less than than the force that we give, or less than or equal to the force that we give?

sry for my bad english

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2
    I think the case would be like the former more. When they are equal the net force is still 0 Newton. (right?)
    This situation I think can be analogous to that in photoelectric effect. When the given energy is equal to the work function, there's no electron emitted.
    Above is just my ideas.

4. May 13, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The kinetic coefficient of friction is used when there is relative motion between the surfaces of contact.
    If there is no relative motion between the surfaces of contact, then you don't use kinetic friction.

5. May 18, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

It is important and noticed.

IF static friction is less than the applied force AND that causes the object to slide THEN use the kinetic coefficient of friction.

Normally if the static friction is equal to the applied force the object won't move (it has to be greater for the object to accelerate).

Note that it is usually the net force on an object that determines if it moves. That is not always the same as the applied force.

6. May 20, 2016 #5
    even use when net force = friction and v nonzero

7. May 20, 2016 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's important to keep in mind that there is kinetic (sliding) friction
    when there is a nonzero RELATIVE-velocity (i.e. SLIDING) between the surfaces.

A box sits on rough top of an moving accelerating truck.
    Even though the box has nonzero velocity,
    if the box is not sliding on the surface of the truck, the friction force on the box in that situation is static friction (not kinetic friction).

8. May 22, 2016 #7
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted