Kinetic friction in an N,T- system only works in tangential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Pascal1p
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


media%2Ff29%2Ff290f5b4-f833-410d-ad2a-4923fad01958%2FphpKQ6xmj.png


Homework Equations


F=m*a
ΣF(n-direction)= m*a(n)= m*(v^2/ρ)
∑F(t-direction)= m*a(t)\
Ffriction= Fn*coefficient(of friction)

The Attempt at a Solution


So I tried solving this question and apperently it is way easier than I thought.
So I thought the kinetic friction has a component in the tangential direction of motion and one in the normall direction (pointing towards center or away from center).
But apperently the kinetic friction in this question only points in tangential direction, but why?

I tried rationalizing it, by saying friction only works in the direction of motion, but that is not true.
Since a car that goes around a curved path, will notice that it's friction on it's tires will make him be able to take the corner/curve.
Or is it that kinectic friction can only be in direction of motion and that the only friction that can work normall, towards center of curv, is the static component (unless u slipp away or towards center)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal1p said:

Homework Statement


media%2Ff29%2Ff290f5b4-f833-410d-ad2a-4923fad01958%2FphpKQ6xmj.png


Homework Equations


F=m*a
ΣF(n-direction)= m*a(n)= m*(v^2/ρ)
∑F(t-direction)= m*a(t)\
Ffriction= Fn*coefficient(of friction)

The Attempt at a Solution


So I tried solving this question and apperently it is way easier than I thought.
So I thought the kinetic friction has a component in the tangential direction of motion and one in the normall direction (pointing towards center or away from center).
But apperently the kinetic friction in this question only points in tangential direction, but why?

I tried rationalizing it, by saying friction only works in the direction of motion, but that is not true.
Since a car that goes around a curved path, will notice that it's friction on it's tires will make him be able to take the corner/curve.
Or is it that kinectic friction can only be in direction of motion and that the only friction that can work normall, towards center of curv, is the static component (unless u slipp away or towards center)?
Kinetic friction acts to oppose actual relative motion of the surfaces in contact. Static friction acts to oppose potential relative motion, i.e. the motion that would occur in the absence of friction.
For a car cornering without skidding, at constant speed, the potential relative motion is radial. (Note, this relative motion of the road and surface of the rotating tyre, not relative motion of road and car.). Hence the static friction acts radially. If the car is also accelerating tangentially, by braking perhaps, then the friction will also have a tangential component. This is why braking on a bend can cause a skid. The tangential component reduces the available radial component.

In the collar and ring question, the relative motion is tangential.