Kinetic friction in an N,T- system only works in tangential?

In summary: The friction is then tangential.In summary, kinetic friction acts to oppose actual relative motion of surfaces in contact, while static friction acts to oppose potential relative motion. In the case of a car cornering without skidding, the static friction acts radially to allow for the change in direction, while in the collar and ring question, the relative motion is tangential, resulting in a tangential friction force.
Pascal1p

Homework Statement

media%2Ff29%2Ff290f5b4-f833-410d-ad2a-4923fad01958%2FphpKQ6xmj.png

Homework Equations

F=m*a
ΣF(n-direction)= m*a(n)= m*(v^2/ρ)
∑F(t-direction)= m*a(t)\
Ffriction= Fn*coefficient(of friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried solving this question and apperently it is way easier than I thought.
So I thought the kinetic friction has a component in the tangential direction of motion and one in the normall direction (pointing towards center or away from center).
But apperently the kinetic friction in this question only points in tangential direction, but why?

I tried rationalizing it, by saying friction only works in the direction of motion, but that is not true.
Since a car that goes around a curved path, will notice that it's friction on it's tires will make him be able to take the corner/curve.
Or is it that kinectic friction can only be in direction of motion and that the only friction that can work normall, towards center of curv, is the static component (unless u slipp away or towards center)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal1p said:

Homework Statement

media%2Ff29%2Ff290f5b4-f833-410d-ad2a-4923fad01958%2FphpKQ6xmj.png

Homework Equations

F=m*a
ΣF(n-direction)= m*a(n)= m*(v^2/ρ)
∑F(t-direction)= m*a(t)\
Ffriction= Fn*coefficient(of friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried solving this question and apperently it is way easier than I thought.
So I thought the kinetic friction has a component in the tangential direction of motion and one in the normall direction (pointing towards center or away from center).
But apperently the kinetic friction in this question only points in tangential direction, but why?

I tried rationalizing it, by saying friction only works in the direction of motion, but that is not true.
Since a car that goes around a curved path, will notice that it's friction on it's tires will make him be able to take the corner/curve.
Or is it that kinectic friction can only be in direction of motion and that the only friction that can work normall, towards center of curv, is the static component (unless u slipp away or towards center)?
Kinetic friction acts to oppose actual relative motion of the surfaces in contact. Static friction acts to oppose potential relative motion, i.e. the motion that would occur in the absence of friction.
For a car cornering without skidding, at constant speed, the potential relative motion is radial. (Note, this relative motion of the road and surface of the rotating tyre, not relative motion of road and car.). Hence the static friction acts radially. If the car is also accelerating tangentially, by braking perhaps, then the friction will also have a tangential component. This is why braking on a bend can cause a skid. The tangential component reduces the available radial component.

In the collar and ring question, the relative motion is tangential.

1. What is kinetic friction in an N,T- system?

Kinetic friction in an N,T- system refers to the force that resists the motion of an object on a surface when there is relative motion between the two. This type of friction is caused by the microscopic bumps and ridges on the surface of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between two surfaces, while static friction occurs when there is no relative motion. Additionally, kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction.

3. Why does kinetic friction only work in the tangential direction?

Kinetic friction only works in the tangential direction because it is caused by the contact between two surfaces. This contact is perpendicular to the normal force, which is always directed towards the surface. Therefore, the force of kinetic friction can only act in the direction parallel to the surface, which is tangential.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact and the type of material. It directly affects the force of kinetic friction, as a higher coefficient means a stronger force of friction and a lower coefficient means a weaker force of friction.

5. Can the force of kinetic friction be greater than the force applied to the object?

No, the force of kinetic friction can never be greater than the force applied to the object. In fact, the force of kinetic friction is always equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the normal force, which is the force applied to the object.