1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Friction of ride down a ramp

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 28.0 kg seal at an amusement park slides down a ramp into the pool below. The top of the ramp is 1.80 m higher than the surface of the water and the ramp is inclined at an angle of 30.0° above the horizontal. The seal reaches the water with a speed of 4.90 m/s.

What is the work done by kinetic friction?

2. Relevant equations

mgh

K = 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

initial energy = mgh = 493.92

final energy = Kf = 1/2mv^2 = 336.14

If the initial was 493.92 and the final was 336.14 then I would assume there was a loss of 157.78, but that wasn't the right answer. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

I believe that you did this problem correctly. The only two things that I can think of are significant figures and minus sign conventions. I would call the work negative.

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

my calculator does not give that, how did you get that?

But mgh= 1/2mv2 +Wf does look correctly applied.

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4
    Whoops, silly mistake. You're right, I just had to put a negative sign on the work of friction. Thanks.

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5
    Ok so the answer was -157.78 J and in order to find the coefficient of kinetic friction, uk, I thought it would be to simply divide by (mg) but I guess it isn't that simple in this scenario. How would I determine uk?

7. Jul 23, 2009 #6

jgens

Gold Member

You would need to find the friction force first. You have that Wf = Ff * d and Ff = uk * FN

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook