Kinetic Friction of ride down a ramp

In summary: You know d and you can find FN using trigonometry.In summary, a 28.0 kg seal slides down a ramp into a pool with a speed of 4.90 m/s. The ramp is inclined at an angle of 30.0° and has a height of 1.80 m above the water. The work done by kinetic friction is -157.78 J, calculated by finding the difference between the initial energy (mgh) and final energy (1/2mv^2). To find the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk), the friction force needs to be determined by using the work of friction equation (Wf = Ff * d) and the normal force equation (Ff =
MarineBio

Homework Statement

A 28.0 kg seal at an amusement park slides down a ramp into the pool below. The top of the ramp is 1.80 m higher than the surface of the water and the ramp is inclined at an angle of 30.0° above the horizontal. The seal reaches the water with a speed of 4.90 m/s.

What is the work done by kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

mgh

K = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

initial energy = mgh = 493.92

final energy = Kf = 1/2mv^2 = 336.14

If the initial was 493.92 and the final was 336.14 then I would assume there was a loss of 157.78, but that wasn't the right answer. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you did this problem correctly. The only two things that I can think of are significant figures and minus sign conventions. I would call the work negative.

MarineBio said:

The Attempt at a Solution

initial energy = mgh = 493.92

my calculator does not give that, how did you get that?

But mgh= 1/2mv2 +Wf does look correctly applied.

turin said:
I believe that you did this problem correctly. The only two things that I can think of are significant figures and minus sign conventions. I would call the work negative.

Whoops, silly mistake. You're right, I just had to put a negative sign on the work of friction. Thanks.

Ok so the answer was -157.78 J and in order to find the coefficient of kinetic friction, uk, I thought it would be to simply divide by (mg) but I guess it isn't that simple in this scenario. How would I determine uk?

You would need to find the friction force first. You have that Wf = Ff * d and Ff = uk * FN

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and is moving.

How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest.

How does the angle of a ramp affect the kinetic friction of a ride down?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the kinetic friction will be as the object will be moving at a faster speed and exerting more force on the surface.

What factors can affect the kinetic friction of a ride down a ramp?

The material of the surface, the weight of the object, and the smoothness of the surface can all affect the kinetic friction of a ride down a ramp.

How can kinetic friction be reduced for a smoother ride down a ramp?

To reduce kinetic friction, one can use a smoother surface, decrease the weight of the object, or apply a lubricant to the surface to reduce friction between the object and the surface.