1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic rotational energy of a bar hooked to a coil

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    I have solved an exercise and I'd like to know if my proceeding about finding kinetic energy is correct or not, because this is the first time that I "meet" a situation like this.

"A bar has mass M and lenght l. Its extremity A is hooked to a coil (with lenght at rest l0), its extremity B is hooked to the point O that is the origin of axes."

I have considered three coordinates: [tex]x[/tex], [tex]y[/tex] (that are the coords of the extremity A on the x-axes and y-axes) and [tex]\theta[/tex] that is the angle that the bar forms with a parallel to the y-axes and I've written
    [tex]K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2+\frac{1}{2}Mv_{cm}^2=\frac{1}{24}Ml^2\dot\theta^2+\frac{1}{2}M(\dot y^2+\dot x^2+\frac{l^2}{2}\dot\theta^2+\dot x\dot\theta l \cos(\theta)+\dot y\dot \theta l \sin(\theta))[/tex]​
    Is it correct? Did I correctly apply Koenig Theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By "coil" you mean "spring"?
    Please provide a diagram?

It looks like you are using the moment of inertial for a rad rotating about it's center - but your description has the rod rotating about one end (extremity B).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook