Converting Kinetic Energy to Electrical Energy: Engineering Considerations

In summary, the individual who came up with the idea to convert kinetic to electrical energy should first contact a patent attorney for legal and confidentiality matters. Then, they should consult with an engineer to develop the idea and conduct a patent search. The cost for the whole setup may vary depending on the attorney's experience and the complexity of the invention. It is important to have more than just the idea on paper for a successful patent.
NEPA
Someone comes up with an idea to convert kinetic to electrical energy. Who should he contact? He needs to find an Engineer to calculate the amount of energy that could be produced / size of turbine / what kind of generator / size of generator, etc. based on the amount of energy displaced to turn the turbine. Individual is NOT an Engineer. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Engineering news on Phys.org
NEPA said:
Someone comes up with an idea to convert kinetic to electrical energy. Who should he contact? He needs to find an Engineer to calculate the amount of energy that could be produced / size of turbine / what kind of generator / size of generator, etc. based on the amount of energy displaced to turn the turbine. Individual is NOT an Engineer. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

A Patent Attorney.

CS

I would think a patent engineer/lawyer won't do the upfront work you would need. You would need a consultant that has a well written out secrecy clause as part of their standard contract. Once that is done and he verifies the details and feasibility of your product, then you move to the patent stage.

FredGarvin said:
I would think a patent engineer/lawyer won't do the upfront work you would need. You would need a consultant that has a well written out secrecy clause as part of their standard contract. Once that is done and he verifies the details and feasibility of your product, then you move to the patent stage.

That's why he needs an attorney who specializes in patents first, for the legal/confidentiality matters. Then he'll need an engineer to develop the idea.

CS

Yeah. I guess that would work. Do a patent search first and then develop.

if you did come up with a new idea that hasn't been patented, how much would it cost for the whole setup do you think? i have no previous experience here. i am just interested in being an inventorexlcuding the benefits and royalties that would hopefully come after your patent.

taylaron said:
if you did come up with a new idea that hasn't been patented, how much would it cost for the whole setup do you think? i have no previous experience here. i am just interested in being an inventor

exlcuding the benefits and royalties that would hopefully come after your patent.

Are you asking how much it would cost in legal fees? If so then it would probably depend on the attorney (i.e. how much experience they have) and the invention (i.e. how much research time they have to spend on it). I would suggest consulting with one first to get an idea.

CS

Here is a ton of info on patents. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/help/item/Legal-Definition.html"

Basically though, you have to have more than the idea on paper. The first to actally build the device gets credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like i got some work to do...

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that is produced by the movement of electrons through a conductor, such as a wire. It is a form of energy that powers many of the devices we use every day.

3. How is kinetic energy converted to electrical energy?

Kinetic energy can be converted to electrical energy through the use of a generator. When a conductor, such as a wire, is moved through a magnetic field, it induces a flow of electrons, creating an electrical current.

4. Can all types of kinetic energy be converted to electrical energy?

No, not all types of kinetic energy can be converted to electrical energy. For example, heat energy is a type of kinetic energy that cannot be converted to electrical energy.

5. What are some examples of devices that convert kinetic energy to electrical energy?

There are many devices that convert kinetic energy to electrical energy, such as wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, and bicycles with generators attached to them. In addition, some everyday items, like hand-crank flashlights, also rely on the conversion of kinetic energy to electrical energy.