Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic to Electrical energy

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    Someone comes up with an idea to convert kinetic to electrical energy. Who should he contact? He needs to find an Engineer to calculate the amount of energy that could be produced / size of turbine / what kind of generator / size of generator, etc. based on the amount of energy displaced to turn the turbine. Individual is NOT an Engineer. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

A Patent Attorney.

CS

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would think a patent engineer/lawyer won't do the upfront work you would need. You would need a consultant that has a well written out secrecy clause as part of their standard contract. Once that is done and he verifies the details and feasibility of your product, then you move to the patent stage.

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

That's why he needs an attorney who specializes in patents first, for the legal/confidentiality matters. Then he'll need an engineer to develop the idea.

CS

6. Jun 18, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yeah. I guess that would work. Do a patent search first and then develop.

7. Jul 9, 2008 #6

taylaron

Gold Member

if you did come up with a new idea that hasn't been patented, how much would it cost for the whole setup do you think? i have no previous experience here. i am just interested in being an inventor

exlcuding the benefits and royalties that would hopefully come after your patent.

8. Jul 10, 2008 #7

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Are you asking how much it would cost in legal fees? If so then it would probably depend on the attorney (i.e. how much experience they have) and the invention (i.e. how much research time they have to spend on it). I would suggest consulting with one first to get an idea.

CS

9. Jul 10, 2008 #8
  10. Jul 10, 2008 #9

taylaron

Gold Member

sounds like i got some work to do......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?