King Kong: Remade in 1930's Style - A Must See

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: Hmm... I think the woman is romanically in love with the monkey, and that is she is so hesitant in going with the 'male' character when he tried to resures her from kong. There is simply no signs in the movie that suggest she is not in love with the monkey. All signs seem to show she has a great 'affection' for the monkey....
TheStatutoryApe said:
Unless I'm mistaken a lot of the way he reacted to her and the things he did for her reminded me of the way I've heard gorillas act towards potential mates. Then of course there was the scene where he did exactly what the actor had explained was the way a man is supposed to treat a girl if he wants to get her. And that ice scene that recon mentioned was just terribly cheesy.
I'm not up on Gorilla mating behavior. At first he just seemed like a typical silverback establishing who's boss and later I was reminded of Koko and her pet kitten All Ball. Koko loved All Ball and went into a deep depression when the kitten died.

I thought the ice scene was pretty good. Here in San Diego they put unusual things is the animals' enclosures occasionally to break up their routine and give them something to play with. It always causes unusual reactions from the animals when they find, say, a Halloween pumpkin in their territory. I thought the way Kong reacted to the ice was probably very much what a real gorilla might do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Entropy said:
King Kong was great. Despite the fact none of the physics add up, and they don't show you how in the hell they get Kong on that tiny little boat!
I think in the real world he would have broken her neck within a minute after he first picked her up, he was swinging her around so wildly.

Yeah, they glossed over some serious engineering problems by neglecting to show how they even moved him an inch from where he went down.

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, they glossed over some serious engineering problems by neglecting to show how they even moved him an inch from where he went down.
Theoretically they could have just left him in the water and towed him to make use of his buoyancy. That brings up all kinds of issues regarding how likely he would have survived the haul. The reality would more likely have been that he died and they just displayed the body.

By the way since we started talking about this it reminded me of the "what song reminds you of who" thread and the song I picked for you..."Science Fiction(Double Feature)".
"Then something went wrong for Fay Wray and King Kong
They got caught in a celluloid jam"

TheStatutoryApe said:
By the way since we started talking about this it reminded me of the "what song reminds you of who" thread and the song I picked for you..."Science Fiction(Double Feature)".
"Then something went wrong for Fay Wray and King Kong
They got caught in a celluloid jam"
I didn't read too much of that thread. I know Rocky Horror well because I worked at a theater that showed it every Fri & Sat at midnight. Had that job for 2 1/2 years. If you stayed up late to work Rocky you got an extra five bucks "combat" pay, so I always did.

Without knowing that history, though, it's not clear to me why that song would remind you of me.

Zoob said:
Without knowing that history, though, it's not clear to me why that song would remind you of me.
It was your interest in things like Bigfoot and SciFi really, nothing deep since I don't really know you well at all. You had started a thread around that time asking people of what other sorts of monsters could be introduced into scifi since so many had been covered and you seemed relatively well versed on the movies. That song, due to the lyrics, was the first thing that came to mind because of that.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It was your interest in things like Bigfoot and SciFi really, nothing deep since I don't really know you well at all. You had started a thread around that time asking people of what other sorts of monsters could be introduced into scifi since so many had been covered and you seemed relatively well versed on the movies. That song, due to the lyrics, was the first thing that came to mind because of that.
Oh, I see. I'm not a Sci-Fi fan at all, per se, it's just that there's usually one or another film around in that genre that is particularly entertaining, particularly well done in some way. It's always nice when someone manages to do something that strikes you as fresh and clever among a mass of imaginationless, derivative pot boilers. Sci-Fi is full of those, so I notice when someone can do something with some thought behind it and a new and interesting twist. I started that particular thread out of boredom wondering if I could spark some creativity in anyone's thinking. It wasn't really from any special affection for sci-fi. It was more like: "Someone please say something creative and entertain me."

Which is why we're really all here, deep down inside. To entertain you, sir!