Kissing Cobras: Thai Man's Incredible Feat of 19 Snakes

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, this man kissed 19 cobras on their heads and apparently it wasn't that dangerous. Some people find the idea of kissing a cobra erotic, while others find it morbid. There are more interesting myths to explore than Jewish fairy tales.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A sport I didn't know of previously, is to kiss as many cobras as you dare on their heads.:bugeye:

This Thai man reportedly managed to kiss 19 of the snakes, there's a video of him at CNN:
http://edition.cnn.com/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely, the cobras' fangs have been pulled. That's an old "trick" snake charmers used. They weren't suicidal folks, but interested in staging a good show.

Snakes entranced by flutes?
Somehow, I find the idea just a teeny bit homo-erotic, but that's just me, I guess.

arildno said:
Snakes entranced by flutes?
Somehow, I find the idea just a teeny bit homo-erotic, but that's just me, I guess.
Try reading Indian mythology. :yuck:

Yonoz said:
Try reading Indian mythology. :yuck:
There's more than enough in Norse mythology, with Odin and Loki.

After all, Odin's eight-legged horse Sleipnir was born by Loki after Loki had for some reason transformed himself into a mare and been mounted by a stallion..

lunarmansion said:
Yes that is just you and your sensibility. To me, it conjures the old orient-one sees such pictures in old books-I am reminded of far away old places with old ruins, old architecture, tigers, lions, the tropics-what is homoerotic about that?
I was just joking. Don't be too miffed about it.

I thought first of bazaars and Shaharazad, myself.

I think you are very interested in bush. That's all I have to say.

I liked the "admitted"-version best.

I agree, it is something sordid with reading a 3000 pages long novel about nothing written by a bedridden man while he waited for his chauffeur to visit him again.

Gide was an angel compared to Genet..

lunarmansion said:
I have never read anything about Genet, just know a bit about his boigraphy. Those French-they are way too morbidly sentimental. Now how about a book like Moby Dick? That ought to straighten you out.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lunarmansion said:
As a student of ancient literature and languages, I find Indian mythology and Indo-European mythology in general far more interesting than the Jewish kind.
Don't get me wrong, I was trying to be humorous - I meant no offence. Jewish mythology is non-existent since Judaism is a monotheistic religion.

Yonoz said:
Jewish mythology is non-existent since Judaism is a monotheistic religion.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Methinks you should check up a bit on the blatantly polytheistic origins of the Jewish fairy tales called the Old testament.

arildno said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Methinks you should check up a bit on the blatantly polytheistic origins of the Jewish fairy tales called the Old testament.
It's a monotheistic religion with polytheistic origins, what's so funny about that? It's not really unique in the way it's affected by other religions.
EDIT: OK my statement is indeed false, there is of course Jewish mythology as in any other religion. I meant to point out that Hindu mythology is richer in the sense of the many colourful entities it contains, whereas Jewish mythology always deals with one, usually very vengeful god. I guess when I think of mythology I immediately think of Greek gods... :blushing:

Last edited:
What's so funny is that you said there weren't any myths (i.e, a body of mythology) in Judaism. The whole Old Testament is a bunch of myths.

But I agree, there is no theogony in Judaism, because it is monotheistic.

The number one food in Norway is frozen pizza.

What was this thread about?

It has somewhat diverged, methinks, from cobras to unsober distinctions between theogonies to mythologies

Evo said:
The number one food in Norway is frozen pizza.

What was this thread about?
Snake pizza.

Is that anything like anchovie?

Judging how far a cobra can strike is not that difficult. The cobra lifts itself up from its coil and however tall the cobra lifts itself out of its coil is how far it can strike since it just simply falls forward. If a cobra is standing up about two feet that is about how far it can strike. A cobra can only strike lower than it is standing so if you keep your body above and beyonf where the cobra can strike you are relativly safe. This is also how snake charmers know how far to sit from the snake. Contrary to what most people believe, the cobra is not listening to the music since they are deaf. They move their heads in responce to the charmers movements.
You never see people playing such games with say a rattlesnake, which coils up and uses its muscles to strike where as the cobra uses gravity for striking motion. It is very difficult to judge how far a rattlesnake can strike since it is all coiled up.
RAD

Of course, if you were able to judge the actual length of the rattlesnake, you might come up with a good estimate. It being coiled up, that's sort of tricky, though.

Interesting perspective on cobras, RAD!

arildno said:
Of course, if you were able to judge the actual length of the rattlesnake, you might come up with a good estimate. It being coiled up, that's sort of tricky, though.

Interesting perspective on cobras, RAD!
About half their length. But I think I'll just go stand over there while you measure.

What is the story behind "Kissing Cobras: Thai Man's Incredible Feat of 19 Snakes"?

The story is about a man in Thailand who has the ability to kiss cobras without getting bitten. He has performed this feat with up to 19 snakes at once.

How is it possible for the man to kiss cobras without getting bitten?

The man has developed a technique over years of practice and training. He is able to calm the snakes and place them in a trance-like state before kissing them.

What are the potential dangers of kissing cobras?

The venom of cobras is extremely toxic and can be fatal to humans. There is also a risk of being bitten if the snakes are not properly handled or if the man's technique is not executed correctly.

What scientific explanations can be given for the man's ability to kiss cobras?

It is possible that the man has developed an immunity to cobra venom through repeated exposure and small doses. Additionally, his technique of calming the snakes and placing them in a trance-like state may also contribute to his success.

What are the potential implications of this feat for snake handling and venom research?

The man's ability to kiss cobras without getting bitten could potentially lead to further research on cobra venom and its effects on the human body. It could also provide insight into new techniques for handling venomous snakes and reducing the risk of bites in snake handlers.