KiwiSDR and recommendations for antennas and cables

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for antennas for a KiwiSDR, specifically for catching signals in the lower frequencies. It is suggested to use a coaxial cable to connect the antenna to the receiver. The conversation also mentions a compromise of using 26ft of wire as an antenna, and the possibility of using a half-wave dipole for a more serious antenna. The issue of interference is also brought up, and suggestions are made to find a quiet area or use a compact and expensive active antenna. It is also mentioned that a tuned loop antenna can be made for better reception.
Miss Amy
I recently bought a KiwiSDR and it's my first SDR so far. I was wondering, what antennas you guys recommendation for it and whether this recommended antenna is truly good for it (it was listed on the KiwiSDR site as a recommended antenna, but it's a bit pricey for me). I'm trying to find signals in the lower frequencies and I'd like an antenna that can catch them.

Also, what sort of cables would I need to hook up between an antenna and the KiwiSDR? I noticed the W6LVP antenna didn't seem to have any cables included (and I'm not sure if other antennas include them either) so if anyone can help me with that, that'd be great. If it varies between SDRs, that'd be helpful info too. Thanks a lot for reading!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not sure of the frequency range you are interested in, so can you be more specific? The main issue is that you do not want the antenna near computers, internet connections, electrical equipment etc due to noise pick up. Are you able to locate an antenna outdoors some way from human activity? You can use a coaxial cable to connect to the receiver.

Likes Miss Amy
I'm talking about the HF range (30mhz-3mhz) and lower (since that is the range the KiwiSDR has). Unfortunately, I have to have the antenna inside my house and near my computer/internet connection. Would that be okay? Are general internet connestions HF and lower?
Oh, I'll try to find coaxial cables when I get the chance. Thanks!

A compromise for an antenna would be 26ft (7.9m) of wire strung out as much as you have room for; maybe in a loop around your room. That length is ¼ wavelength in the center (actually the geometric mean: √(3⋅30)= 9.49MHz) of the frequency band you are after. Since you have limited space and the frequencies are relatively low, just about any wire over a foot or so long will pick up something.

If you get to the point of wanting a serious antenna, it could be a half-wave dipole with its length ½ the wavelength of the main frequency of interest. The wavelength of a radio wave in meters is 300/frequency, where frequency is in Megahertz.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. I'm assuming your 30mhz was meant to be 30MHz... 'm' is for the prefix 'milli' (1/1000); 'M' is Mega (1 000 000).

Trivia: And the 'H' is capitalized because it comes from the last name of Heinrich Hertz, a German physicist, after which frequency is named. (Hz used to be called 'cycles per second', or CPS)

Likes davenn and berkeman
Amy
The main issue is interference within the room. Maybe a balcony is available for a whip antenna? Or hang a wire from a window, or string it outside somehow? One thing to try is to carry an ordinary AM radio around the room and find a quiet area. In olden times a few metres of wire would have served, but now will pick up a lot of noise. Some people are finding that a compact (and expensive) active antenna located at a quiet spot is a solution. The loop antenna you mentioned is probably good but it is expensive. It is possible to make a tuned loop if you like making things and this will probably help a lot.

1. What is a KiwiSDR and how does it work?

A KiwiSDR is a software-defined radio (SDR) receiver that allows users to listen to and analyze radio signals over the internet. It works by connecting to a computer or network and using software to process and decode radio signals.

2. What are the recommended antennas for a KiwiSDR?

The recommended antennas for a KiwiSDR are wideband dipole antennas, active loop antennas, and magnetic loop antennas. These types of antennas are able to receive a wide range of frequencies and are suitable for use with SDR receivers.

3. Can I use a regular coaxial cable with a KiwiSDR?

Yes, you can use a regular coaxial cable with a KiwiSDR. However, it is recommended to use a low-loss cable, such as RG-8 or RG-213, to minimize signal loss and improve the overall performance of the system.

4. How high should I mount my antenna for a KiwiSDR?

The ideal height for mounting an antenna for a KiwiSDR depends on various factors, such as the desired frequency range, the type of antenna, and the surrounding environment. Generally, a higher mounting position will provide better reception, but it is important to consider any obstructions or interference that may be present.

5. Can I connect multiple KiwiSDRs to one antenna?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple KiwiSDRs to one antenna using a splitter or a multicoupler. However, this may result in a weaker signal for each receiver, so it is important to use high-quality components and properly calibrate the system for optimal performance.