Knowing and understanding stuff

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between knowing and understanding something. The speakers use the example of knowing the formula for salt, but not understanding why it is safe to eat. They also touch on the idea that understanding something requires accepting that one will never fully comprehend it. The conversation also mentions the possibility of humans having knowledge that goes beyond their physical bodies and the concept of nobility and war. One speaker mentions having dreams that provide insight, while another admits to not knowing much. The conversation concludes with the idea that understanding goes beyond facts and images, and is a state that one can only experience when it happens.
perhaps one may best 'figure out the fundamentals' by realizing that, well at least in my case, that i ain't going to 'figure it out.' others that are brighter than i perhaps can 'figure it out' but not me. there are other tools besides figuring though... tools that others will wholeheartedly call subjective and not a proof of anything and to that my mind would agree. i guess it's kind of like 'thinking' out of the box. you can't think your way out of a box, can you? or can you? sorry this post is so unhelpful...

Physics news on Phys.org
jammieg, you have all the ability you need to accomplish anything you want to do. The question usally avoided to oneself is what do you really want to do? Your subconscious expressing itself when you are sick interesting. You see, you are a witness to the primary expression of the subconious. That is a start, there is more.

Originally posted by jammieg
What is the difference between knowing a thing and understanding a thing?

A "free will decision to make a choice.

Why is it so often that even when people acknowledge that they know the right thing to do their actions differ from their words?
For example, most everyone agrees that lying is bad but we all lie more or less.

Is lying a lie to a lier? The perspective of the I, is what makes the I lie or not.

Last edited:
Knowing is a memory.

Understanding is a pattern that you remember.

Something I know: What an apple looks like.

Something I understand: 1+1=2

Relevant situation: I am looking at two apples on a table.

Relevant thought processes involved in analysing this situation: I recognise before me an apple. I recognise before me another apple. There is 1 apple and 1 other apple. Ergo: 1+1=2. I see before me 2 apples.

:smile:

"Truth and Reality"

Originally posted by the_truth
Knowing is a memory.

Understanding is a pattern that you remember.

Something I know: What an apple looks like.

Something I understand: 1+1=2

Relevant situation: I am looking at two apples on a table.

Relevant thought processes involved in analysing this situation: I recognise before me an apple. I recognise before me another apple. There is 1 apple and 1 other apple. Ergo: 1+1=2. I see before me 2 apples.

:smile:

"Our Reality" is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based on our perceptions. What we percieve depends on what we look for. What we look for depends on what we think. What we think depends upon what we perceive. What we perceive depends on what we believe. What we believe determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true is "our reality".

But if you trully undertstand, the deep meaning behind the physics of QM," Our Reality is an illusion and everything just "Is". Which brings a totally new meaning of what "Reality" might be.
Emitte lucem Tuam et veritatem Tuam

Last edited:
An additional comment to Rader's post:

What we define as reality is the result of our perception. That literally explained what Rader wrote. This opens the door for other and unlike comprehensions of what reality is like and if there is a "universal" reality that is palpable to every being.

transcendentalism

Well I'm a transcendentalist. I'm not very familiar with any of the writings of Emerson or Thoreau, but basically I believe that the basis of transcendentalism is that knowledge can be acquired without the senses or sensory experience. There is an essay by kant called "critique of pure reason" which is kindof about this but I have no idea what he says about it. I doubt it's even possible to be a transcendentalist and believe that the mind is reducable to the physical brain. I believe that the physical brain is just an interface for the spiritual mind (which transcends time), to take part in this existence. Kindof like a deep sea diving suit is to a diver and it allows him to travel to depths were the pressure would naturally implode his skull. Our psycical mind, senses and body are just an insturment.

Understanding cannot come from the sences or reside in the brain. Well, our course, it may have its origin through the senses and physical brain, but it is not "understood" until it transecnds that part of the mind. This is understanding. For example, Einstien did not preceive the ingredients for his theories. It came to him through intuition. The man who composed the periodic table of the elements saw it all it a dream. According to Edison, Genius (understanding) is not possible without that 1% inspiration.