Kochen-Specker Proofs Look Wrong to Me

• Thread starter nougiecat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of non-contextuality and its implications on the Kochen-Specker theorem. The theorem is a simple corollary to Gleason's theorem and states that hidden variables are not possible due to the Born rule, which does not allow for assigning states with both 0 and 1. The speaker suggests reading a referenced link for further clarification on the topic.
nougiecat
Can someone explain to me what is wrong with the following argument? There are two parts. First of all, K-S, despite passing reference to hidden variables, doesn't really seem to depend on any interesting properties of HV, but instead appears to be an indictment of QM itself by asserting that QM cannot consistently predict the results of measurements. I'm not going to elaborate on this part, because the more important part is this: the proofs of K-S all depend on some form of the following assertion. That the eigenvectors of projection operators must always be associated with the same value (zero or one) independent of the operator (i.e. observable) that they are associated with. This results in the so-called coloring rule that a given eigenvector must always have the same color. But I'm pretty sure this is simply not true. The value of an observable is not arbitrary or connected only with an eigenvector. The value is determined by the eigenvalue associated with the eigenvector for a given operator. Different operators in general may share one or more eigenvectors, but the eigenvalues are unrelated. As an example, consider the operator Q, in 3D. This will have three eigenvectors, q1, q2, and q3, and three corresponding projection operators, P1, P2, and P3. All three of these have (or can have, by construction, since they are all degenerate) the same three eigenvectors, q1, q2, and q3. But the eigenvalues that go with these are not all the same. In particular, the eigenvalues for P1 are 1, for q1, 0, for q2, and 0 for q3. Similarly for P2, they are 0, 1, and 0, and for P3, 0, 0, and 1. So all three of the qi have both zero and one as value depending on which projection operator you use. This seems to disprove all of the K-S proofs that I have seen.

I assume someone can explain to me what I am missing here. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without trying to disentange your issue please note that Kochen Specker (it's been a while since I was familiar with the detail) is in fact a simple corrolary to a much deeper result - Gleasons Theroem:
http://kof.physto.se/cond_mat_page/theses/helena-master.pdf

I suggest going through the above link and see if your issue is not resolved.

But it's fairly simple really. If you assume non contextuality it's (plus a few other very reasonable things - but non contextuality is the biggie) then the Born rule follows so that hidden variables are basically not possible because you can't assign states with 0 and 1.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Kochen-Specker proof?

A Kochen-Specker proof is a mathematical proof that demonstrates a contradiction in the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically in the measurement of physical properties of quantum systems.

2. How do Kochen-Specker proofs challenge quantum mechanics?

Kochen-Specker proofs challenge quantum mechanics by showing that it is impossible for certain properties of a quantum system to have definite values at the same time, as predicted by the theory.

3. Why do Kochen-Specker proofs look wrong to some scientists?

Some scientists may find Kochen-Specker proofs to be counterintuitive or incorrect because they challenge long-standing principles of quantum mechanics and challenge our understanding of the physical world.

4. How have scientists responded to Kochen-Specker proofs?

Scientists have responded to Kochen-Specker proofs by proposing alternative interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation, or by attempting to reconcile the contradictions through further research and experimentation.

5. What are the implications of Kochen-Specker proofs?

Kochen-Specker proofs have significant implications for our understanding of the physical world and the principles of quantum mechanics. They suggest that our current understanding may be incomplete or incorrect, and could potentially lead to new discoveries and theories in the field of quantum mechanics.