What is the Krasnikov Metric for Wormholes and How Does It Create Exotic Matter?

In summary, on April 12, 2000, BBC news reported on an article in New Scientist about Sergei Krasnikov of the Pulkovo Observatory discovering a way for a specific type of wormhole to create its own supply of exotic matter, allowing it to stay open. A paper titled "Toward a traversable wormhole" by Krasnikov can be found on a website, but its date is unknown. It is uncertain if this paper was written before or after the one mentioned by New Scientist. The paper may provide more details about Krasnikov's theoretical wormhole, but a link to it is unavailable.
nomadreid
Gold Member
On 12.April 2000, BBC news http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/710812.stm, quoting an article in New Scientist (to which I don’t have access, and which is anyway usually sketchy on details), wrote that Sergei Krasnikov of the Pulkovo Observatory in St. Petersburg has found a way (presumably a metric by which a specific kind of “wormhole can create its own abundant supply of exotic matter” to stay open. I found “Toward a traversable wormhole” by Krasnikov at www.zamandayolculuk.com/cetinbal/pdfdosya/wh.pdf , but it is undated, so that except for the references telling me it is after 1999, I cannot tell if this latter article was written before or after the one to which New Scientist is referring. From the contents, I would guess before. Can anyone give me a link (preferably freely accessible, without having to sign up for anything) to an article with more details of this type of theoretical wormhole which Krasnikov has worked out, or is the pdf article cited above all that, with journalistic hyperbole, New Scientist is referring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones: Perfect. Thank you very, very much.

1. What is the Krasnikov metric for wormholes?

The Krasnikov metric is a mathematical formula that describes the properties of a wormhole, a hypothetical tunnel-like structure that connects two distant points in space-time.

2. How is the Krasnikov metric different from other metrics for wormholes?

The Krasnikov metric is unique in that it allows for the possibility of a wormhole that is traversable, meaning that objects or information can pass through it without being destroyed or lost. Other metrics for wormholes often involve exotic matter or negative energy, which may not be physically possible.

3. Can the Krasnikov metric be used to create a real wormhole?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the Krasnikov metric can be used to create a real wormhole. It is a theoretical concept that has not been proven experimentally.

4. How does the Krasnikov metric affect the laws of physics?

The Krasnikov metric does not violate any known laws of physics, but it does rely on the existence of negative energy or exotic matter, which have not been observed in nature. The metric also raises questions about the causality principle, as objects or information passing through a traversable wormhole could potentially create paradoxes.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Krasnikov metric?

At this time, there are no known practical applications of the Krasnikov metric. However, further research into wormholes and the Krasnikov metric could potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of space-time and the possibility of interstellar travel.