Krichhoff's voltage law as conservation of energy

In summary, Kirchhoff's voltage law is said to be conservation of energy but I couldn't get a satisfactory explanation for that, hence I tried of thinking one but I doubt its validity. My instructors at collage thought of it as something useless, so I would like to know if it's correct or no. I don't understand quantum mechanics.
person_random_normal
Krichhoff's voltage law (kvl) is said to be conservation of energy but i couldn't get a satisfactory explanation for that,
hence i tried of thinking one but i doubt its validity, my instructors at collage thought of it as something useless , i couldn't understand them !
I think somebody here can help me
this is what i want to say -
say, we have a simple circuit consisting of a battery(of emf E) and a resistor(of resistance R), so having connected them by ideal wires, we have electrons in the wire which sense the potential difference of the battery, and hence get some sort of energy
then they move in the wire till they encounter the resistor,and then as krichhoff's law says the formerly energized electrons experience equal and -ve potential drop due to resistor so that net potential drop/ gain in the loop is zero.
so i think this can be interpreted as - the resistor consumes all of the energy of the electrons provided to them by the battery and converts that to heat !
but the pitfall here in this logic is what happens to those electrons then , after they leave the resistor ??
i couldn't think of that
so is it correct or no ??
i would like to have the answer on microscopic understanding , a classical point of view. i don't understand quantum mechanics
But please keep the explanation simple i am in high school !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage (a.k.a electromotive force) is not energy. It's not even force. Instead it is the potential for force.

When a charge, let's say an electron, is in a voltage field, it has a force exerted on it. But without the electron, there's no force. So voltage is kind of like half a force, or maybe ¾ths of a force.

Consider gravity (often called a force depending on your model). Gravity only acts if there's a mass to act on. But gravity is itself caused by a mass somewhere. (The Earth perhaps?) So it's always a force, at least to itself.

While voltage is often caused by a charge somewhere, it can also be caused by a magnetic field. So voltage is almost, but not quite a force. But when combined with magnetism, it becomes the electromagnetic force.

Energy is (or is closely related to) force times distance. Thus an electron which moves up or down voltage changes its potential (electrical potential) energy. A resistor changes it to heat. An electron in free space would accelerate, changing it to kinetic energy. With some cleverness (an antenna, some circuitry) the potential can be converted to photons, and so forth.

Clearly an electron at a certain voltage level has a fixed potential energy. If it leaves a fixed level, then comes back it will gain then lose (or lose then gain) the same amount of energy, coming back to the same potential. The path doesn't matter.

Shreyas Samudra said:
my instructors at collage thought of it as something useless
They are right: Useless.

Kirchhoff says that the sum of voltage changes ( signs, directions included ) through a closed loop in a circuit = 0.

Now, say that in your simple circuit, you call the nodes A and B. The battery is connected from A to B and the resistor is connected from B to A.
You measure by a volt meter the voltage change ( through the battery ) from A to B and will read E. Now you include the voltage change through the resistor by moving the one probe from B to A. So now you are actually measuring the voltage change from A to A, and that must of course be zero ( ideal conductors ).
( As the sum of changes = 0, the voltage change across the resistor must be -E. )

Kirchhoff never intended to make a new discovery, he just made systematic rules for electric circuits, which today especially are used by computers, analyzing complex circuits. Thanks to Kirchhoff for that. :smile:

Ohm just said: V = R*I. No signs, no directions, no paths.

Last edited:
Kirchoff's laws can be derived from Maxwell's equations, which in turn depend on the conservation of energy (and other things of course). The conservation of energy exists because certain universal laws (like Maxwell's equations) are unchanging in time. (See Noether's theorem.)

Proving Kirchoff's laws from conservation of energy is a way to move from the simple to the complex. Mostly engineers try to move the other way, making complex rules simpler so they can be applied. So from an engineering point of view, it is useless.

But from an artistic point of view it shows the elegance of the standard model. There is a great deal of awe in seeing how a complex system like the standard model (and presumably the universe from which it is drawn) all fits together. Is art useless? I don't think so. But don't expect to make much money this way.

According to my understanding, electrons in the resistor need more energy to maintain the current flow. So, inside resistor, their individual energy level is high. Once they come out in the conducting wire, the individual energy level drops. Heat is a part of their kinetic energy. I don't think "all" the energy is lost in the form of heat. For a given resistance and time, the energy lost as heat is proportional to the square of current.

cnh1995 said:
So, inside resistor, their individual energy level is high. Once they come out in the conducting wire, the individual energy level drops.
The electrons will successively loose their energy, passing the electric field inside the resistor (counter-emf).
cnh1995 said:
Heat is a part of their kinetic energy.
Electrons have no significant kinetic energy, but have potential energy due to treir position in the field ( due to the electric potential at the location in the field ).

Typically the speed of electrons in some conductor/resistor is measured in millimeters per minute: Not much kinetic energy in that.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury

1. What is Krichhoff's voltage law?

Krichhoff's voltage law, also known as Kirchhoff's second law, states that the algebraic sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the algebraic sum of the voltage rises in the same loop. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

2. How is Krichhoff's voltage law related to conservation of energy?

Krichhoff's voltage law is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In a closed loop, the voltage drops and rises must balance out to conserve energy.

3. What is the significance of Krichhoff's voltage law in circuit analysis?

Krichhoff's voltage law is an essential tool in circuit analysis, as it allows us to determine unknown voltages in a circuit by applying the principle of conservation of energy. It also helps us to identify any errors or discrepancies in a circuit by ensuring that the voltage drops and rises are balanced.

4. Can Krichhoff's voltage law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Krichhoff's voltage law can be applied to all types of circuits, including DC and AC circuits, as long as they are closed loops. However, it is important to note that the law assumes ideal conditions and may not be entirely accurate in real-life circuits due to factors such as resistance and capacitance.

5. How can Krichhoff's voltage law be verified experimentally?

Krichhoff's voltage law can be verified experimentally by using a voltmeter to measure the voltage drops and rises in a closed loop circuit. The measurements should be within a small margin of error, as any significant discrepancies would indicate a violation of the law.