The Effects of Resistance on Voltage

In summary, a voltmeter in parallel to a battery measures the EMF. Once the circuit is closed, the measured voltage drops due to both the internal and the external resistance. The initial resistor does not affect the voltage the voltmeter measures.
Mykhalo P
In an open circuit, a voltmeter in parallel to a battery measures the EMF. Once the circuit is closed, the measured voltage drops due to both the internal and the external resistance. My question is how can the initial resistor not affect the voltage the voltmeter measures?

Additionally,

Because an ideal voltmeter has infinite resistance, how can a voltmeter measure voltage without the electrons from the current? It's like, how can I measure the potential energy of a ball without the ball?

Also, if voltage is like potential energy, then why does potential difference equal to zero after it passes the last resistor, and not when it reaches the end of the wire?

I'm sorry that these questions are basic. I just hope to gain a decent understanding of the material. Thank you to anybody who is so kind as to help me out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Mykhalo, :welcome:
Mykhalo P said:
My question is how can the initial resistor not affect the voltage the voltmeter measures?
Not a very clear question. Could you re-phrase ?
Mykhalo P said:
Because an ideal voltmeter has infinite resistance, how can a voltmeter measure voltage without the electrons from the current?
It's possible: if you use an adjustable voltage source and let it produce the exact same voltage, a meter in between the two voltage sources should show no current.
It's like, how can I measure the potential energy of a ball without the ball?
Gravitational potential energy ? Measure the height and multiply by ##mg## ?

Mykhalo P said:
Also, if voltage is like potential energy, then why does potential difference equal to zero after it passes the last resistor, and not when it reaches the end of the wire?
That's a practical consideration: we assume the wire resistance can be ignored (i.e. set to zero for all practical purposes, so there is no voltage drop over the wire). Doesn't work for very low resistances !

Mykhalo P said:
Because an ideal voltmeter has infinite resistance, how can a voltmeter measure voltage without the electrons from the current?
It can't. Ideal voltmeter is a theoretical thing. Basically ideal things are theoretical. They do not exist. Practically,a voltmeter has (or should have) a "very high" resistance compared to anything in the circuit so that when connected in parallel with a component, it will draw a "negligible" current compared to actual currents in the circuits and hence, will not "disturb" the circuit parameters and it will not "load" the source. This negligible voltmeter current is often assumed to be zero practically, because we can neglect its effect in most of the circuits. In some circuits, the voltmeter resistance needs to be taken into account for extreme accuracy.

Likes davenn and anorlunda
Mykhalo P said:
In an open circuit, a voltmeter in parallel to a battery measures the EMF. Once the circuit is closed, the measured voltage drops due to both the internal and the external resistance. My question is how can the initial resistor not affect the voltage the voltmeter measures?

Hi Mykhalo P

Have you learned about Ohm's Law? It's all about it. When the circuit is open, what is the resistance of the circuit? Plug it in Ohm's Law and find current. The voltmeter has a very big resistance in practice, such that it draws a small current, the one it needs to function properly. So ,what does this mean, in the context of measuring the voltage across a voltage source, in an open circuit? When you close the circuit, the total resistance changes. What does this imply for the same measurement?

Mykhalo P said:
Because an ideal voltmeter has infinite resistance, how can a voltmeter measure voltage without the electrons from the current? It's like, how can I measure the potential energy of a ball without the ball?

There is no such thing in practice as an ideal voltmeter. In theory, we say infinite resistance but this translates in practice, to a very big resistance. So, there is always some current drawn from the voltmeter, although very small.

Mykhalo P said:

Every element of an electrical circuit has some resistance, at least small. This has direct consequences on the voltage drop and the current through the element (again Ohm's Law).

Last edited:
There seems to be a theme of people asking questions along the lines of "How can this thing I learned about in electricity be ideal? It doesn't make sense!" The simple answer is that nothing is perfect in the real world. You are being taught approximations and it's done for a good reason.

Try this for an exercise. Make up a simple circuit with a 10V source and a 10kOhm resistor. Figure out how much voltage a meter will read on the resistor if it does not have infinite impedance. Try it with a meter that has 1MOhm and 1GOhm internal resistance. Examine the results and see how they differ.

With that same circuit figure out the resistance of the wires that connect the circuit. Make all the wires 14AWG and 10cm long. Solve for the current in the circuit with the wire resistance added. Did the wire resistance make much difference?

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

How does resistance affect voltage?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This means that as resistance increases, voltage also increases.

What materials have high resistance?

Materials such as rubber, glass, and plastic have high resistance because they are insulators and do not allow electricity to flow easily through them. Metals, on the other hand, have low resistance and are good conductors of electricity.

How does temperature affect resistance?

In general, the resistance of a material increases as its temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the particles in the material vibrate more and are more likely to impede the flow of electrons, resulting in higher resistance.

What is the relationship between resistance and power?

The relationship between resistance and power is given by the formula P = (V^2)/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. This shows that as resistance increases, power decreases, meaning that more energy is lost as heat rather than being used to do work.