Kruskal and Penrose diagrams for a Minkosky spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for diagrams representing Minkowski spacetime, specifically the Kruskal and Penrose diagrams. The first diagram found appears to be a Kruskal diagram for black holes, while the second diagram resembles a Penrose diagram. However, the latter makes more sense as it represents a spherical coordinate system.
JeffOCA
Hello

I'm looking for diagrams (Kruskal and Penrose diagrams) representing Minkosky spacetime.
I found two diagrams at http://nrumiano.free.fr/Estars/int_bh.html (the two first diagrams of the page). Do they represent a Minkowski spacetime ?

Thanks,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
The first diagram looks OK, but I haven't heard the term "Kruskal diagram" used to describe such a diagram of Minkowski spacetime; I've only heard "Kruskal diagram" used to describe a diagram using Kruskal coordinates for black holes (which looks somewhat similar).

The second diagram looks similar to the one on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_diagram" . The latter form makes more sense to me since, as I understand it, Penrose diagrams are supposed to represent a "spherical" sort of coordinate system, where the spacelike dimension is radius r. In this interpretation having a left half of the diagram would correspond to a negative radius, which doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Jeff,

Yes, the diagrams on the website you mentioned do represent a Minkowski spacetime. The first diagram is a Kruskal diagram, which is a way of representing the entire spacetime in a single diagram. It shows the full structure of a Minkowski spacetime, including the event horizon and the singularity at the center. The second diagram is a Penrose diagram, which is a conformal representation of a Minkowski spacetime. It is often used to study the causal structure of a spacetime.

In both diagrams, the horizontal axis represents space and the vertical axis represents time. The diagonal lines represent the paths of light rays, and the curved lines represent the paths of massive particles. The event horizon, where the gravitational pull becomes too strong for anything to escape, is represented by the diagonal line that forms a 45-degree angle with the horizontal axis. The singularity, where the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite, is represented by the point where all the diagonal lines converge.

I hope this helps clarify the diagrams for you. Minkowski spacetime is a fundamental concept in special relativity, and these diagrams are useful tools for understanding its structure and properties. Thank you for your question!

1. What is a Kruskal diagram?

A Kruskal diagram is a graphical representation of a Minkowski spacetime that maps the entire universe in a two-dimensional space. It was developed by physicist Martin Kruskal in 1959 as a way to visualize the structure of a black hole.

2. What is a Penrose diagram?

A Penrose diagram is a special type of Kruskal diagram that represents a four-dimensional Minkowski spacetime in a two-dimensional space. It was developed by physicist Roger Penrose in 1963 to study the behavior of light and particles near the horizon of a black hole.

3. How are Kruskal and Penrose diagrams related?

Kruskal and Penrose diagrams are both ways to represent a Minkowski spacetime in a two-dimensional space. Kruskal diagrams are useful for studying the interior of a black hole, while Penrose diagrams are better for studying the behavior of light and particles near the horizon of a black hole.

4. What are the benefits of using Kruskal and Penrose diagrams?

Kruskal and Penrose diagrams provide a visual representation of the complex structure of a Minkowski spacetime, making it easier for scientists to understand and analyze. They also allow for the visualization of phenomena that are difficult to grasp in a four-dimensional space, such as the behavior of light and particles near a black hole.

5. Are Kruskal and Penrose diagrams only used for black holes?

No, Kruskal and Penrose diagrams can be used to represent any Minkowski spacetime, not just those involving black holes. They are also useful for studying other cosmological phenomena, such as the behavior of light and particles in an expanding universe.