L (Angle) & C (Channel) beam sections versus an I section

In summary, an I beam is typically used for horizontal weight bearing members due to its efficient use of material and resistance to buckling. However, in certain situations, an angle or channel cross section may be preferred in structural work, such as for tension members or horizontal tension members where an angle would sag. This is due to factors such as ease of joining, fabric-ability, cost, and transportation logistics. Additionally, in large structures where column stability or torsion is not critical, an I section Universal Column may be used, and a closed section tube is best for columns.
rollingstein
Gold Member
In terms of unit material spent my impression is that an I beam uses it most efficiently at least for non-torsional loads? i.e. putting most material far from the axis into the flanges giving higher moments.

If so, what are situations when an angle or channel cross sections are preferred in structural work? Per unit mass is the rolling mill cost of an I beam higher?

For beams & columns would an I section always be preferred? Or not?

Engineering news on Phys.org
RSJ or “I” beam is optimised for horizontal weight bearing members. Failure of RSJ is usually buckling of the top flange in compression. RSJ is especially convenient where the top flange can be controlled by the supported structure or slab.

A closed section tube is best for columns. But in a large structure where column stability or torsion is not critical, an “I” section Universal Column is often used. UC in walls can be oriented so that their directional strength keeps the wall flat.

Angle is better for tension members, angle is also good in some compression situations. Channel can be used for horizontal tension members where angle would sag.

Channel generates twist or side forces when loaded as a horizontal beam. Where attachment to the web of an RSJ is needed, a channel section may be a better choice.

Likes 1 person
Baluncore said:
Angle is better for tension members, angle is also good in some compression situations. Channel can be used for horizontal tension members where angle would sag.

Thanks @Baluncore.

Can you explain why an angle is better as a tension member? Say it was a 2D truss with a member in pure tension, no shear nor Bending Moment; is that what you mean?

Even if so, the tension resistance should depend only on C/S area right? So an angle, channel, I beam etc. all seem equivalent so long as same area is maintained?

Or not? Am I making a mistake?

You are correct for simple 2D trusses. But we live in the real world.

Consider an electrical transmission line tower. The legs are angle in compression, girts are also angle but closer to neutral so must handle compression, all the diagonal bracing is angle in tension.

Where tension members cross they are bolted together to stop them rattling against each other in the wind. By using angle rather than straps of flat bar, the tension members will be more rigid and so will not sympathetically oscillate, or flutter in the wind, which would lead to rapid fatigue failure.

Angle has the advantage of being easier to join since the 90° angle gives more degrees of freedom.
Angle can have a flat surface oriented uppermost, so it is easier to climb than flat bar on edge.
Angle is easier to roll and packs better than channel or RSJ.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Angle has the advantage of being easier to join since the 90° angle gives more degrees of freedom.
Angle can have a flat surface oriented uppermost, so it is easier to climb than flat bar on edge.
Angle is easier to roll and packs better than channel or RSJ.

All excellent reasons. Thanks.

So, it seems the reasons you'd use an angle instead of, say, an I beam is join-ability, fabric-ability, cost, transportation logistics, & other such concerns.

FAQ: L (Angle) & C (Channel) beam sections versus an I section

1. What is the difference between an L & C beam section and an I section?

An L & C beam section is shaped like the letters L and C, with two perpendicular flanges and a flat base. An I section, also known as an I-beam or H-beam, has two horizontal flanges and a vertical web connecting them. The main difference between the two is their cross-sectional shape, which affects their strength and load-bearing capacity.

2. Which type of beam section is stronger?

The strength of a beam section depends on various factors such as the material used, dimensions, and load distribution. Generally, an I section has higher strength and stiffness compared to an L or C beam section due to its compact shape and distribution of material. However, for specific applications, an L or C beam section may be more suitable.

3. What are the advantages of using an I section over an L & C beam section?

An I section has several advantages over an L & C beam section. It has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, which allows for longer spans and reduces the overall weight of the structure. It also has better load-bearing capacity and is more resistant to bending and deflection. Additionally, I sections are readily available and can be easily connected to other structural elements.

4. In what situations is an L or C beam section preferred over an I section?

An L or C beam section may be preferred in situations where there is a need for a wider base or greater flexibility in design. They are also commonly used in applications where the load is primarily vertical, such as in buildings and bridges. Furthermore, L and C beam sections are often more cost-effective for smaller scale projects due to their simpler manufacturing process.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing between an L & C beam section and an I section?

Apart from the structural considerations mentioned above, other factors to consider include the availability of the desired section, the cost of materials and fabrication, and the requirements of the project. It is essential to consult a structural engineer to determine the most suitable beam section for a specific application.

Back